Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 of about 100 returning students from overseas who were quarantined for 14 days at one of the local hotels tested positive at the end of the quarantine period . But that was from outside the country and well controlled. We seem to have community spread under control at the moment.

premier at this afternoon’s briefing said he hopes the tourism business can reopen by year-end. On the other hand, he also said he hoped borders could reopen in a few months depending on how the rest of the world is doing.

we’re wrestling with whether to stay here for the duration or try to jump on a repatriation flight to the US that might be arranged over the next couple of weeks. Seems safer here at the moment.

Tourism by year end? That is pretty depressing but it is what it is. Can't imagine all the businesses will survive that long with no paying tourists. No idea when things will be back to "normal" in the states so can't blame them for not wanting visitors for awhile.

4 of about 100 returning students from overseas who were quarantined for 14 days at one of the local hotels tested positive at the end of the quarantine period . But that was from outside the country and well controlled. We seem to have community spread under control at the moment.

premier at this afternoon’s briefing said he hopes the tourism business can reopen by year-end. On the other hand, he also said he hoped borders could reopen in a few months depending on how the rest of the world is doing.

we’re wrestling with whether to stay here for the duration or try to jump on a repatriation flight to the US that might be arranged over the next couple of weeks. Seems safer here at the moment.
Know of a number of us wrestling with the same question, go or stay. Right now as it stands, still feel we are better off here than in the states , where it looks to be going from bad to worse over the next few weeks. If the government here can achieve what they are aiming to do at containing and suppressing this virus on island, have hopes that they can slowly start to relax some of the restrictions and allow local businesses to reopen slowly. It may take the states a lot longer to get to that same destination.
Being from the Mid West, realize that we are not going to get a Cayman Air flight to anywhere other then perhaps Miami to begin with. Not sure I'm ready for that, dealing with multiple flights and airports right now..

Looking for something to do during lockdown. The Easter Bunny has a suggestion.
Have a safe and happy Easter.

upload_2020-4-12_9-3-45.jpeg

Looking for something to do during lockdown. The Easter Bunny has a suggestion.
Have a safe and happy Easter.

View attachment 580143

Here's a collection of witticisms that are circulating on the Internet:

* Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

* I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

* I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

* Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom

* PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

* Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

* I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks, we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

* This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

* So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?

* Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

* My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

* Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

* I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

* I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Las Livingroom.

* Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

* Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.

* Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under

- First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up.

- My cleaning lady just messaged to say she will be working from home and will send me instructions on what to do.

- Many parents are just about to discover the teacher is not the problem.

- What's worse: two masked guys trying to rob you or your unmasked pizza delivery guy?

- I've almost completed my 90 day trial of 2020. How do I cancel?

- Day 3 without sports. Found a lady sitting on my couch. Apparently she's my wife. She seems nice.

- Anyone else feel like life is being written by a fourth grader? "And there was this virus and everyone was scared. And then the world ran out of toilet paper. Yeah, and then there was like no school for a month."

- Anyone have a recipe to make toilet paper out of cauliflower?

- We're about two weeks away from seeing everyone's true hair color.

- Looks like we'll also need to bail out our political and science fiction writers, and retrain them to be historians.

- Reminder: 9pm is the time to remove your day pajamas and put your night pajamas on.

-My husband saw a cockroach in the kitchen. He cleaned, scrubbed and disinfected the heck out of all cupboards and the entire kitchen. Tomorrow I’m placing the plastic roach in the bathroom.

Cayman airports likely to remain closed until at least 30 May?

Cayman airports likely to remain closed until at least 30 May?

More than likely. The Premier in his latest daily briefing implied that it may be many more months. He advised the tourism industry that they would probably be out of business until the end of the year.
Businesses face grim reality of life without tourists

We were originally thinking of staying here for safety, passing up the expected repatriation flight to US in the next few weeks, but we're rethinking that as we're not looking to stay for 8 more months. Then again they are hoping to open the island up for (local) business in a few weeks, depending on the degree of control over new virus cases, and if we could dive again and I could sit in with the local bands again I could probably tolerate being here.

I think that at this point, probably safer to stay in Cayman than to be in the US. The Cayman government seems to be handling the crisis much better than the chaos spinning from Washington.

Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom