Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anesthesiologists are essential to treating the most serious cases of COVID. And lots of them are being furloughed because there is not enough COVID work to go around.
Thankfully it's not overwhelming all areas like it is in the hot spots, but when that does happen in a location - those anesthesiologists, anesthesiologist nurses, and such are first & foremost physicians & nurses. I guess that they could work in support positions in the hospitals during a crisis episode.

We found our first case in my rural county of less than 10K, and the adjacent county on the interstate with over 20K has had their first fatality. It's making progress out west. My sunrise shopping runs are the high point of my weeks. I am trying to help insulate my brother's home with his wife and temporarily his mother-in-law who are all much higher risk than I am so I am shopping for them too, and that's an interesting challenge. I cover my face, use doggy poop bags on doors, use antiseptic wipes on my hands, and hit three stores to complete the lists. Country folks tend to hoard toilet paper anyway so luckily we haven't needed any of that.

I didn't travel this winter for some reason so I am glad I did my 1500 miles Texas tour last month even tho I guess I should have been hunkering down earlier like Gordy. My camping trip to the Guadalupe Mountains next month is doubtful as is my DC trip in July and birthday trip to Cozumel in August. I guess bored and healthy is fortunate.

I read that dairy and vegetable farmers who normally supply institutions are having to plow under produce as you can't just shut those operations down like airlines.

It will take longer than giving everyone an efficacious vaccine, but it kind of will go away on its own if we keep up good social distancing. The virus can only persist by hopping from host to host, so if we break that chain and it has nowhere to replicate, it will disappear on its own. Kind of like how we don't need to give kids polio or smallpox vaccines anymore because we did such a good job with eradication efforts for both of those diseases. The only difference is that in this case, we are eradicating the virus by staying away from each other instead of getting a vaccine. That and the fact that people aren't staying away from each other to the degree that is needed to truly eradicate it.
We did not get rid of polio or smallpox by social distancing. That will not work for this either.

It will take longer than giving everyone an efficacious vaccine, but it kind of will go away on its own if we keep up good social distancing. The virus can only persist by hopping from host to host, so if we break that chain and it has nowhere to replicate, it will disappear on its own. Kind of like how we don't need to give kids polio or smallpox vaccines anymore because we did such a good job with eradication efforts for both of those diseases. The only difference is that in this case, we are eradicating the virus by staying away from each other instead of getting a vaccine. That and the fact that people aren't staying away from each other to the degree that is needed to truly eradicate it.
The problem is that even if it works it only takes a single undetected case to start the whole thing up again among those who are not immune by prior infection or vaccination.

The problem is that even if it works it only takes a single undetected case to start the whole thing up again among those who are not immune by prior infection or vaccination.
Which is why it won't work and it is foolish to think it will.

The problem is that there are chances that there is no permanent immunity for this coronavirus, as it happens for most previous virus of the same family. Despite many years of attempts, there is yet no vaccin for SARS or MERS.
And also normal colds are some sort of coronavirus, and no one gets immunity.
So social distancing could be the only weapon we have, at least until we find something which works for sure.

The problem is that there are chances that there is no permanent immunity for this coronavirus, as it happens for most previous virus of the same family. Despite many years of attempts, there is yet no vaccin for SARS or MERS.
And also normal colds are some sort of coronavirus, and no one gets immunity.
So social distancing could be the only weapon we have, at least until we find something which works for sure.
There are 200 different cold viruses.

Despite many years of attempts, there is yet no vaccine for SARS or MERS.
I think one reason for that is that there is not that much of a demand for them. Neither SARS nor MERS had anywhere near the impact on us that this one is having.

There are 200 different cold viruses.

And most are rhinoviruses. The "cold" is not a single disease just a catch-all term for a collection of symptoms.

Christi, so sorry to hear that about Pedro's family! Tell him we are praying for him and his family and the island!

Hopefully they have a supply of the malaria drug on the island. My best friend got covid and our Dr who is also our best friend immediately put him on the malaria med + zinc and zithromyacin or however you spell it. He has fully recovered and said within 3 doses of the malaria med he started to recover! This is affecting everyone unfortunately and I hope it ends soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom