Why my thread about picture of dead animal in avatar is gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jale

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
Last week, i opened a thread asking if to use a picture of a hunter's trophy was ok for a scuba diving forum?
The thread went down after 2 or 3 days even if the tone of the replies was correct.
I understand that some people may not like their NRA alike stand being confronted as I don't like my vegan-tree-hugger stand being confronted as well :) :)
But that amazes me is that nobody has the decency to inform me about that.
I even sent a mail to understand why but no reply.
I just feel a bit sad about that this censorship coming from the land of free speech.
Anyway, who care about that topic?
Stay safe.

This was questioned in a thread in the Pub. As I recall, someone posted a meme that was considered racist so the thread was shut down.

thanks for your answer.
Ok thenI understand now.
But as the OP, i wish i could have been informed as being left in the dark...in a lockdown...you don't know what to think...

We apologize for not responding to you personally. It is generally our policy to let reporters know that we are considering, or have taken action on a thread.
The Moderators have been a little busy these days, as tempers seem to be shorter and the lockdown is taking a toll on many of our members.
Thank you for raising the issue. Be assured that the Moderators discussed the issue, and tried to look at it from all sides before taking action. The Pub is a minimally moderated forum, but sometimes things cross the line.
Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, you are right about that we are all on a short fuse expecially for matters of not much importance...
Case closed for me.
Lets go back to talking about diving to provide us with a momentary way out to the sad state of the world.
Stay safe

This was questioned in a thread in the Pub. As I recall, someone posted a meme that was considered racist so the thread was shut down.

Deleting the entire thread sanctions the OP And every contributor.

Surely the correct approach would be to delete the offending post rather than the entire thread ?

And maybe also sanction the offending poster in some way, short term ban or even long term ban, depending on past conduct.

Hi

I just feel a bit sad about that this censorship coming from the land of free speech.

Basic Civics class information you obviously have forgotten. The Free Speech you mention only applies to what the Government can, and can not, do. You have no right to free speech on am internet forum UNLESS it is owned/managed by the Government. The Owners of a private ANYTHING can restrict your free speech at their whim.

Your Employer (if it's not the Government), a restaurant owner, movie theater usher, etc, etc can all impose rules that limit your free speech. This is why the whole NFL/Kapernick kneel controversy is so dumb. The NFL can limit what they want, when they want, where they want because they, and the Individual teams are Privately owned.

Funny to me though that you complain out your free speech being "violated" when your original beef was about someone's avatar picture you didn't like and questioned whether it should be allowed. If you feel your words should be protected then their picture, another form of speech, should be protected as well........unless you are one of those that think the "rules" shouldn't apply to you...just others.

Funny to me though that you complain out your free speech being "violated" when your original beef was about someone's avatar picture you didn't like and questioned whether it should be allowed. If you feel your words should be protected then their picture, another form of speech, should be protected as well........unless you are one of those that think the "rules" shouldn't apply to you...just others.

Couldn't agree more.

Basic Civics class information you obviously have forgotten. The Free Speech you mention only applies to what the Government can, and can not, do. You have no right to free speech on am internet forum UNLESS it is owned/managed by the Government. The Owners of a private ANYTHING can restrict your free speech at their whim.

Your Employer (if it's not the Government), a restaurant owner, movie theater usher, etc, etc can all impose rules that limit your free speech. This is why the whole NFL/Kapernick kneel controversy is so dumb. The NFL can limit what they want, when they want, where they want because they, and the Individual teams are Privately owned.

Agree 90+ percent.
Except, that free speech principals require that the NFL, despite having the legal right to control the actions of its agents within the sphere of their employment, is subject to having its actions debated but society at large. Having the right to do something does not require others to agree with those actions ... therfore the kerfuffle (eventhough some mistakenly asserted lack of right.)

Hi
Last week, i opened a thread asking if to use a picture of a hunter's trophy was ok for a scuba diving forum?
The thread went down after 2 or 3 days even if the tone of the replies was correct.
I understand that some people may not like their NRA alike stand being confronted as I don't like my vegan-tree-hugger stand being confronted as well :) :)
But that amazes me is that nobody has the decency to inform me about that.
I even sent a mail to understand why but no reply.
Anyway, who care about that topic?
Stay safe.
I was in the thread so I did not moderate it. Towards the end, people were trying to win a disgusting post award by posting photos of dead animals. The final straw was the dead elephant. It had nothing to do with censorship, it was about taste, or lack thereof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom