Quiz - Equipment - J-Valve

When used as designed, a J-valve will:

• a. serve as a warning device, alerting the diver when tank pressure is low.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • b. allow a diver to monitor air pressure without a submersible pressure gauge.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • c. give the diver an extra supply of air to finish the dive.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • d. both a and c are correct.

Votes: 89 66.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the PADI Dive Theory Exam:

When used as designed, a J-valve will:

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

And the follow-on question:

Why is it called the “J Valve” ?

And the follow-on question:

Why is it called the “J Valve” ?
US Divers catalog in the 1950s had the valve with the reserve labeled J and the valve without the reserve labeled K, still called the K valve.

Having dived a J valve for 10 years from 1970-80, this was an easy question for today's quiz

My 15 liters single tank (Cressi) is still equipped with the reserve and dual post.
However I usually keep the reserve valve open since the beginning of the dive.
The reserve is set at just 50 bars, which I always considered not safe enough...

This question is like asking what leaded gasoline is used for on a current driving exam.

This question is like asking what leaded gasoline is used for on a current driving exam.
The boat gets 100 octane LL from the local airport, the motorcycle gets 110 octane Sunoco from the gas station across from the race track. Depends on which driving exam. The motorcycle has my riding ability's scored nearly every time I ride it.

My 15 liters single tank (Cressi) is still equipped with the reserve and dual post.
However I usually keep the reserve valve open since the beginning of the dive.
The reserve is set at just 50 bars, which I always considered not safe enough...
When I got a SPG in 1972, I found that my J valve activated at around 400 psi, a little below 30 bar. After I had the SPG, I also dived with the reserve open

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom