Diving with a cochlear implant.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tna9001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, All.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience diving with a CI? I just got implanted last month and I'm planning to do a Dive Master internship as soon as the COVID-19 allows. I've reached out to my ENT and Audiologist but I don't expect to hear from them for a while as their offices are closed. I realize my ENT will be the one to make the decision but I'm hoping to get some first-hand info.

Thank you,

Tyler

Hello, All.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience diving with a CI? I just got implanted last month and I'm planning to do a Dive Master internship as soon as the COVID-19 allows. I've reached out to my ENT and Audiologist but I don't expect to hear from them for a while as their offices are closed. I realize my ENT will be the one to make the decision but I'm hoping to get some first-hand info.

Thank you,

Tyler
I believe I have seen this topic addressed on here. If I am remembering correctly then you are capable of diving with a CI but I also believe I remember that it comes with some constrictions regarding depth. Your ENT guy will be your best source of information on this when you can get a hold of them.

I believe I have seen this topic addressed on here. If I am remembering correctly then you are capable of diving with a CI but I also believe I remember that it comes with some constrictions regarding depth. Your ENT guy will be your best source of information on this when you can get a hold of them.
That's encouraging, thank you!

tna...,
There is search box for ScubaBoard as well.

Not to be advertising stuff, I do use a Pro-Ear mask and Doc's Pro Plugs while diving. My problem is a delicate tympanoplasty. I have a Cochlear BAHA for my right ear.

tna...,
There is search box for ScubaBoard as well.

Not to be advertising stuff, I do use a Pro-Ear mask and Doc's Pro Plugs while diving. My problem is a delicate tympanoplasty. I have a Cochlear BAHA for my right ear.
Thank you for that. Have you observed any depth limits due to your CI?

I've heard back from Med EL, the manufacture of the CI I've got:

I've now heard back from our experts and I do have good news for you: SCUBA diving with your MED-EL CI is fine, as long as you remove the external audio processor.

This statement is taken from the Instructions for Use for our SYNCHRONY cochlear implant:

"Most water sports should not cause any problem as long as the external parts of the implant system are removed. If headgear or face mask are worn, care must be taken to ensure that the strap is not too tight over the site of the implant. In case the MED‑EL implant user wants to dive, the user should consult an experienced physician about the possibilities and personal restrictions when performing water sports, especially in the case of SCUBA diving. The implant is robust against pressure changes which occur during SCUBA diving to depths up to 50 m (165 ft)."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom