Diving related stuff to keep busy during lockdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thought, it could be useful to have a thread for only diving related stuff to do/read.

I will start:

books:
- Salvamar, a story about a sports diver who ends up doing commercial diving. It’s not particularly aimed at people with knowledge about diving. I enjoyed the story and the style.

- a walk on the deep side, a book about the era of dangerous deep diving records. Interesting and informative, written by John Kean

- Lost Wife, Saw Barracuda, stories from John Kean while he was instructing. This is a very funny and easy to read book

- Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria, I am currently reading this. It is aimed at divers and tells the story of people who have dived the Andrea Doria. It has a good mix of informative writing. emotions and heroism

Online classes
- John Kendall ran a free photogrammetry class. This allows you to turn pictures into 3D models. You can use it outside of diving as well. The classes can be found on YouTube. Consider tipping him if you like them.

- SSI science of diving: I got this for free, a diving shop I dived with ran this class online for free. I think it may be a bit basic for many of you, but it covers many topics between diving physics, physiology, decompression theory and a bit of aquatic environment

- SSI science of diving: I got this for free, a diving shop I dived with ran this class online for free. I think it may be a bit basic for many of you, but it covers many topics between diving physics, physiology, decompression theory and a bit of aquatic environment

Salty Endeavors out of Cozumel is offering it online for free right now

upload_2020-4-10_16-1-2.png

*I've just emailed off for the SSI Science of Diving class.

*Books: Deco for Divers and Technical Diving: An Introduction by Mark Powell

*I'm going over my tech class manuals again.

*For Great Lakes shipwrecks/diving, I started a thread with many books.

A Great Lakes reading list

*eLearning for any possible upcoming class

*If you're interested in reading more specific stuff about tech diving, you can get the TDI manuals from DGX.

• started reading the free Breathology book PDF available on eLearning Login page
  • Also reading “Scuba Stories” 1 and 2 from DIVE magazine. They are accounts of incidents but without a proper analysis. It is more of a collection of stories rather than proper incident analysis.
  • “Under Pressure” from Gareth Lock, who is doing the human diver/human factors when diving

Don't forget to refresh yourself by reading Diver Down.

I reread my copy every couple of years.

Somehow I forgot that all RAID theory materials are free at the moment, so you can read them and do quizzes

Other books I've enjoyed include:
Dark Descent by Kevin McMurray, about the Empress of Ireland
Fatal Depth by Joe Haberstroh about the Andrea Doria
Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey about the Great White Sharks of the Farallons
Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury about the Rouses
and, of course, Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson about the U-869

I am a meditator with a daily practice for the last 10 years or so and did yoga twice a week when I lived in California. Curious as to your thoughts on the Breathology PDF. I can see how deeper breathing can help in yoga but it directly conflicts how meditation should be done. Now how do you see this relating to diving?

I am a meditator with a daily practice for the last 10 years or so and did yoga twice a week when I lived in California. Curious as to your thoughts on the Breathology PDF. I can see how deeper breathing can help in yoga but it directly conflicts how meditation should be done. Now how do you see this relating to diving?
I have not done much yoga and no meditation at all.

Can you explain to me how I would get started in meditation and how that would improve my diving ?

I just like to try stuff, I thought I would try this to learn to be more efficient at breathing: currently my SAC is on the high side if I do not focus on my breathing.

On any dive where I focus on my breathing, I can drastically drop my SAC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom