Indonesia Recommendations Welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Bomberg

Contributor
Reaction score
I know I am an optimist but assuming our Aug 15-25th cruise on the Amira (Labuan Bajo - Bima) happens, we need recommendations on places to stay and dive ops and things to see.

We figure we have about 8-10 days total and need a place to stay in Bali (not to far from the airport), same in Labuan Bajo and possibly Bima. Other than that we are fairly open, we love to try new things and open to anything, so @chillyinCanada and @outofofficebrb I am expecting you to jump in with some great ideas.

Thinking we might head to Ubud and relax for a day or 3 but, we are here to dive, relax and enjoy the amazing culture, food and hospitality so please give us your thoughts.

Also if anyone knows of a good route or carrier from Ottawa, Canada please share, and are there any to avoid.

OK , I have a recommendation for a night in Bali near the airport because of wanting to be near because of a late in day arrival and/or a very early departure. The airport Novotel.

Other than that head to Padang Bai and dive, site see from there, including Ubud.

I like EVA air with premium economy (business class seat at coach price). It helps me to get a good rest on the 16-hour flight from Houston to Taipei 3 months ago.

I think you might be optimistic but ...
Cathay Pacific and EVA have direct flights from Toronto to Asia. From Ottawa, you might be able to fly to Vancouver and onto Asia. Check Flighthub.ca
I have been on Amira 5 times, and I love the boat and it's crew. I have done trips to Komodo before a couple of times. I stayed at Novotel in Bali overnight, being at the airport it makes it very easy for the early morning flight. It's a very short flight and being in the morning I have not had delays. Same goes for Bima.
It is Mola mola season and Padang Bai is a great place to stay for a few days and dive Nusa Penida. I stayed at Puri Rai hotel, huge rooms with nice pool. The restaurant was nice too.

My best Bali diving trip was in August 2014, before boarding on Mermaid 1 for 10D/9N Bali-Komodo-Bali. Hence no domestic flight needed to fly from Denpasar to Labuan Bajo and without losing a day no fly time after diving in Bali.

Took a 2-week vacation for this trip. Flew to Bali, spent 4 days of diving safari in Bali, starting from Menjangan (NW Bali), going east to Tulamben, south to Padangbai & Nusa Penida, before boarding the Mermaid 1 in Benoa. Saw 9 Mola Mola the morning diving in Nusa Penida before boarding Mermaid 1 in that same afternoon. :D

Just to double check, you plan to dive in Bali? or just chill in Ubud before heading to the Amira?
You don't want to stay in Bima, not much going on there. You can probably take a tour there on the afternoon of your last day of diving. Sounds like you finish there. Best to get back to Bali, way more things to do and see.

Thank you for your suggestions, sadly we were informed by our employers that we are unable to go to Indonesia in Aug, even if the travel restriction is removed so alas, we will have to skip this trip.

Thank you for your suggestions, sadly we were informed by our employers that we are unable to go to Indonesia in Aug, even if the travel restriction is removed so alas, we will have to skip this trip.

Well darn it all anyway. How disappointing for you.

That said, I don't believe that the world is going to be open enough for travel by then anyway.

I sure hope that I'm wrong.

I am an optimist and yes travel will be complicated but I think allowed, and yes rather bummed at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom