Metric interface socket driver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the size of 2x4s was determined in order to make a sheetrock wall 4" thick. There can be no other explanation for 2x4s that when finally dried out measure around 1.75 x3.5".
Michael
I know this one. Original 2x4s and other dimension and board lumber were actually the size indicated but were roughsawn and often green. Drying and finishing was left to the carpenter or yard. Eventually lumber yards began to provide the option to face this lumber for the carpenter, but of course the wood removed meant you got smaller dimensions.

When mills started producing faced lumber themselves, they adopted the smaller dimensions of yard or craftsman post-processed lumber. And then since they had already abandoned the real dimensions, they figured what would it hurt to take another 1/32 out here and there? Since every mill had its own definition of reasonable allowances, things got messy once lumber started to be shipped out nationally. Eventually, retailers, builders and the Departments of Commerce and Defense forced the lumber industry to adopt national standards. But since they let the industry do it themselves, the standards naturally codified whatever dimensions resulted in the largest profit they felt they could get away with.

See this 1964 report by the US Forest Service for all the exciting details: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/miscpub_6409.pdf . I mean its got several appearances by Herbert Hoover! And the green vs. dry measurement battle of the West's Douglas Fir producers against the Southern Pine producers!

Can anyone tell I used to be a reference librarian?

Tires are also in inches world wide as well.

There was a time in the early 80s they tried to make an all metric tire, Michelin TRX comes to mind. It didn't work and inches are still the standard for tire sizes.
Actually it's wheel diameters that are imperial 14,15,16 etc - tires are metric in widths.

Tires are also in inches world wide as well.
No, they aren't. Only partially.

My car's recommended tire dimension is 255/55R18 or 255/50R19. 255 is tire width in millimeters, 55 (or 50) is percent (tire width over tire height), and 18 (or 19) is rim diameter in inches. So, an unholy mess of inches and metric.

I think that the size of 2x4s was determined in order to make a sheetrock wall 4" thick. There can be no other explanation for 2x4s that when finally dried out measure around 1.75 x3.5".
Michael
Fun fact: Way back before metric, the Scandinavian inch was slightly longer than the Imperial inch. 1 Swedish inch = 29.6 mm, 1 Danish inch = 26.2 mm, 1 Norwegian inch = 26.1 mm, 1 Imperial inch = 25.4 mm. Even today, when we measure boat sizes in feet, it's in our old foot unit, not the Imperial foot unit of 30.48cm

Came in very handy when the Scandinavian countries were exporting lumber across the North Sea. Our 2x4s weren't undersized even after crossing the North Sea and drying out a bit on the trip.

I still have an old yardstick with our own inches on the top scale. Today's yardsticks have the Imperial inch on the top scale.

No, they aren't. Only partially.

My car's recommended tire dimension is 255/55R18 or 255/50R19. 255 is tire width in millimeters, 55 (or 50) is percent (tire width over tire height), and 18 (or 19) is rim diameter in inches. So, an unholy mess of inches and metric.
That is what I was referring to.
And while at it, all the normal regulators all use inches (fractions) for the thread size on the ports. And I have had some hoses that had a metric hex to tighten those English threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom