GUE & Halcyon Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I took Fundies, there was no pressure and no comments about the XDeep Zeos BP/W setup with a Hydros 50 wing. Nor comments about my DUI dry suit, which many of the GUE folks have. While they partner with Santi (as far as I can tell), there also is zero pressure to buy Santi (though I did have to borrow a Santi suit which off the shelf fit me better than my custom fit DUI dry suit).

Gear just has to meet the criteria. GUE Seattle is a fairly sizable community, probably much smaller than Florida, but still, the attitude of the instructors was simple: right gear for the training. That's it. I can't speak for all GUE instructors, but the ones up here: Guy, Alex, Kees, and further north, Liz; all are positive representatives of the organization.

I was wondering if one might get a price break on Halcyon gear if enrolled in a Fundies course.

That would make sense but no discount was offered when I took it.

I was wondering if one might get a price break on Halcyon gear if enrolled in a Fundies course.

That would make sense but no discount was offered when I took it.

why would that make sense? The instructors aren't automatically Halcyon dealers, and GUE and Halcyon are separate companies...

As the "GameChanger" ..... What say you?

GUE is not a company like Halcyon, it is a non profit organisation. However, Jarrod Jablonski is the president/ founder of GUE and also the CEO of Halcyon. Halcyon grew out of the needs to supply cave diving equipment which didn’t exist (they way they thought was best - DIR as was known), especially for the dives the WKPP were doing (18000ft penetration etc). Everything needed to be good quality, reliable and standardized among the exploration teams so the dives were safe and successful.

GUE instructors are not meant to “push” Halcyon gear. It is generally recommended to students if they ask but not because they are told to either by Halcyon, or GUE.

I would also like to clear up a common misconception: It is not uncommon for senior GUE instructors to be Halcyon dealers, however, know this - if they recommend Halcyon products, it’s because it is in the student’s best interest. Great equipment does help and instructors care about students and value their progression. I mean yes, they would like to potentially profit on gear sales but that isn’t their priority, the priority is giving the student the tools to become a better diver and if it happens to be from them if they are a dealer - that afterthought is a bonus for them.

You won't ever get a price break on anything from the big H that isn't a factory authorized sale. They have fairly strict minimum pricing guidelines. You might be able to get a discount on the course from an individual instructor who also happens to be a dealer as they are free to set their own course pricing.
This would in theory be similar to the common, "buy a drysuit get a drysuit orientation free" promotion.
E.g. Buy a Bp/W & canister light and get 20% off a GUE-F course or something like that.

You would have to take the course from an instructor who was also the shop owner/co-owner, not just a staff instructor. Then of course negotiate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom