Titan Triggerfish be aware!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen many titans in Samoa and Bali. In Samoa they all fled when they saw me. In Bali they ignored me. It was always my understanding that they're only an issue when they're breeding.

upload_2020-4-16_13-40-46.jpeg

I watched this guy in Bali eat for about ten minutes, getting into its face a few times. Guess I'm stupid but lucky.

upload_2020-4-16_13-52-43.jpeg

On the other hand, here in Hawaii, lagoon and wedgetail triggers get pretty aggressive if you approach their nests. They'll rush you, but usually back off at the last second.

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-16_13-38-28.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-16_13-38-28.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 87
Yes, it's when they have their nest made and it's the Titans that will scar you!

I've seen many titans in Samoa and Bali. In Samoa they all fled when they saw me. In Bali they ignored me. It was always my understanding that they're only an issue when they're breeding.

View attachment 580924
I watched this guy in Bali eat for about ten minutes, getting into its face a few times. Guess I'm stupid but lucky.

View attachment 580927
On the other hand, here in Hawaii, lagoon and wedgetail triggers get pretty aggressive if you approach their nests. They'll rush you, but usually back off at the last second.

Your second photo is a Picasso Triggerfish

Your second photo is a Picasso Triggerfish

Lagoon triggerfish - Wikipedia

Aquarists often refer to Rhinecanthus aculeatus as Picasso Triggerfish; ichthyologists (Gerard Allen, Jack Randall, John Hoover) tend toward Lagoon. The related Wedgetail Triggerfish (R. rectangulus) is also sometimes called Picasso. You say tomato...

Learned that from Arthur Godfrey when I was a little kid.

"Where the humuhumunukunukuapua'a go swimming by..."

I always like to test the divers on our boats. You can tell who has prepped to visit the islands

I always like to test the divers on our boats. You can tell who has prepped to visit the islands

Easier to say Picasso trigger. I had one named Leilani in a tank for years...Couldn’t keep anything else with her!

Beautiful fish and an excellent photo of same.

Having gotten my training and done subsequent trips to Koh Tao, I have perhaps, beyond the normal level, of respect for Titan Trigger Fish. They're very aggressive there, perhaps due to all the divers. One time, we all dropped off the boat to find ourselves right above a bunch of nests. It was a big panic to swim out of there!

Once I started diving elsewhere, I would always signal for Trigger Fish, if I spotted one, and guides would be puzzled as to why I was concerned.

I do have a Titan Trigger Fish to thank for finally getting me my first Whale Shark experience. We were being chased by a Titan and finally got out of the area. The instructor turned around to check on us, to make sure the Titan lost interest and he started frantically pointing behind us. We thought maybe the Titan was back, but then the instructor signaled Whale Shark... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom