Trip Report Scuba Diving in Roatán, Honduras - March 2020 (4K)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On our March 2020 trip to Roatán, we were joined by our niece who successfully completed her Open Water certification. We also hosted a family of four Open Water divers, who are good friends of ours from back home.

Unfortunately, the diving conditions were not great with extremely high winds, waves and surge. The visibility was the worst that we have ever seen with a lot of particulate in the water and generally poor lighting. Macro conditions were also suboptimal due to the strong surge.

To make matters worse, I lost a full day of diving to food poisoning and then came down with a bad case of Dengue Fever, two weeks after getting home. At least it wasn't Covid-19!

Please also note the special message at the end of this video. Our reefs are currently under threat of overfishing due to the Covid-19 lockdown. The Roatán Marine Park is working closely with local dive shops and the Honduran Navy to step up marine patrols but their resources are limited. If you want to help protect the natural beauty of our reefs, please consider making a donation to the Roatán Marine Park at www.roatanmarinepark.org.

Thanks to Danny and Mia at Barefoot Divers and Rino at Jackson's Dive Centrer for the great dives!

Thanks Divefans. That was a particularly cool bit of behaviour. I was happy enough to just see and film a mantis shrimp. Once he started tearing into the cyphoma, I completely flipped out! :D

Reactions: Doc
Same thing! You are correct. :)

You got some lovely shots despite conditions

A truly brilliant video. If other SB videos were 1/2 as good, maybe people would quit dragging GoPros around?

You are not only seeing that which most cannot, you’re getting micro videos of it!

Really nice work.

Wonderful! I am sure that this will be very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom