Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I was hoping that I could just get a new bezel to glue in and be good as new, but those 2 black slivers mean even a new bezel would not put it back to 100% like new.

My cressi bigeyes has removable plastic clip that holds the glass in: you're supposed to be able to DIY insert prescription lenses (sold separately). I'm guessing I could remove the glass and treat just it, without risking the rest.

But it doesn't fog often so I'm not going to.

Would you consider treating only one of the lenses?

That would be a valuable comparison.

If this COVID crap continues long enough I'll consider anything... even doing useful work instead of posting to SB. But like I said, it's not fogging up much up on me. Ain't broken...

As a side note and in 20-20 hindsight, I would probably refrain from soaking unknown kind of plastic in ammonia, and may think twice about running it through a dishwasher too. That includes buckles on the strap of every modern mask.

The Cressi Big Eyes has been the only mask I have ever loved. It hardly ever fogs.
My cressi bigeyes has removable plastic clip that holds the glass in: you're supposed to be able to DIY insert prescription lenses (sold separately). I'm guessing I could remove the glass and treat just it, without risking the rest.

But it doesn't fog often so I'm not going to.

This fogging problem on new masks came into existence with the advent of frameless masks -- those where the glass retainer cannot be mechanically removed.
Sincere thanks to @Akimbo. This distinction is critically important and was something that I was not aware of at the time of my OP. The fogging issues with frameless masks have become a basic premise for all this work.

Frameless mask, non-removable lens. They fog. Why? Can this be overcome?

The Cressi Big Eyes has been the only mask I have ever loved. It hardly ever fogs.
@umhlangan Are you and @dmaziuk implying that the mask that @stuartv posted is a Cressi Big Eyes?

Is a Cressi Big Eyes mask a frameless mask?

Are you and @dmaziuk implying that the mask that @stuartv posted is a Cressi Big Eyes?

I am not, but it has similar plasticky bits that may or may not become brittle from exposure to dishwasher and/or ammonia.

Thank you everyone and LowViz for this thread, I've been following for some time with interest. I've tried everything here, dishwasher had the best results previously. My masks went in ammonia today.

And since I'm in no hurry, drysuit is in for repairs, it's perfect timing to sit for a week. Then I'll put my bu in for a week as well.

Frameless mask, non-removable lens. They fog. Why?
Most likely due to the lens being co-molded in place with the silicone. Contamination from the process, be it silicone directly or the mold release agents used.

Frameless mask, non-removable lens. They fog. Why? Can this be overcome?

My understanding is that the glass is inserted in the mold before the silicon is injected, which gets mold release on it/them. Dano/@MAKO Spearguns can give us a much more specific and informed description.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom