When things reopen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't really see the reason for this - there was only a week of lobster season left when dive charters shut down and I know a few boats are assuming they will be allowed to resume diving on May 1, which is the grouper season opener. In any case, I suspect that once things are opened up the dive boats will not have problems filling seats.

Grouper reopens May 1 anyway. Right now you can take slipper lobster which are far tastier if you know where to find them. Cobia are running in force. Anyone going out has plenty to chose from.

Another consideration. Given the absolute disaster that is red snapper management, I can't imagine how many fish researchers would over count and pass the deficit on to the next season.

With the current limits in place, recreational harvesting of offshore species doesn't even move the needle on fish populations. Check the data.

Still not seeing how an added open season helps the charters. I don't see them having problems filling seats; if anything the boats planning for May 1 that I know of are planning to run at 2/3 capacity to reduce the chance of covid transmission.

What would be more helpful is what I've seen some charters do, which is offer prepaid trips for after lockdown ends. That way they have money coming in the door now, as opposed to trying to make up an as-yet undefined amount of lost income after whatever date they are allowed to resume operations.

Still not seeing how an added open season helps the charters. I don't see them having problems filling seats; if anything the boats planning for May 1 that I know of are planning to run at 2/3 capacity to reduce the chance of covid transmission.

What would be more helpful is what I've seen some charters do, which is offer prepaid trips for after lockdown ends. That way they have money coming in the door now, as opposed to trying to make up an as-yet undefined amount of lost income after whatever date they are allowed to resume operations.
JDC does not seem to be having any trouble lining up divers for a possible opening on May 1. They will be running under half load with 8 divers, a mate, and a guide on the dive deck. Dive Portal - Dive Calendar

Who is going to pay upfront for a trip that may never happen? Who knows what operations will even be back in operation when things reopen

Who is going to pay upfront for a trip that may never happen? Who knows what operations will even be back in operation when things reopen

If they go out of business before reopening, a change in the fishing regs afterwards doesn't do them much good, does it?

So what's the latest rumor on reopening? Is prospective dates yet? For dive charters/

So what's the latest rumor on reopening? Is prospective dates yet? For dive charters/
See many many national news organization's coverage.

tl;dr: We still do not know. Testing, contact tracking, PPE, therapy and medical capacity are still being developed. See the national phased plan of staged opening with each stage separated by a few weeks to observe effects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom