Miller Diving Easy Lift Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, even with all of this stuff, the dive supervisor is still going to want you to stuff your foot in a wire rope eye and have the crane operator pick you up.

but if it isn't one piece of continuous 2" webbing aren't we going to die?

You know, even with all of this stuff, the dive supervisor is still going to want you to stuff your foot in a wire rope eye and have the crane operator pick you up.

The Extraction Bridle is only for used in closed bells to recover unconscious divers, the diver doesn't normally wear it. There has been a padeye above the hatch for a block & tackle to recover divers since the early 1970s.

Bit of history: The bellman in the 1960s deep bounce diving bells would just vent the bell to raise the water level in order to retrieve an unconscious diver. Of course there was barely any electrical systems in those bells and they were only 66"/1,676mm diameter spheres.

Ping: @Oceanaut and @Heliumthief

but if it isn't one piece of continuous 2" webbing aren't we going to die?

I get the tongue in cheek reference to technical diving dogma but this reminds me of a bit of commercial diving morbid humor. Did you notice the red "rescue ring" behind the head on that harness above? Everyone really called them dead man rings. So to answer your question, it doesn't matter. :)

The Miller seems to just basically be a fall-arrest harness which can go in the water.

Ever since the incident in the North Sea, we have been using a ‘trapeze’ along with the man lift and harness, as it was observed that lifting an unconscious diver from the single point at the back of the neck while still wearing the hat closed the airway of the diver, whilst the trapeze tends to let the head loll ‘back’ and open it.

it was also highlighted that some of the more common harnesses on the market did not have all D rings ‘box’-stitched: certain harnesses had D rings which were for hanging tools from, and weren’t intended for ‘man-lift’.

the general set up of the Miller harness seems fine, I don’t really like the buckles (in the past I’ve used similar, which always had the tendency to slacken off in the water) but that’s probably just personal. In the ‘old’ days when we were allowed to use personal gear like harnesses, I saw a few that guys had made up with climbing harness leg-loops like that which seemed a lot comfier when ‘clogged-off’ in mid-water..(if you are being rescued, I’m not sure if you’d care about the harness cutting into your taint, though...!).

In the ‘old’ days when we were allowed to use personal gear like harnesses

Geezer recollections:
I remember the old days when everyone was making their harnesses and weight belts out of conveyor belt material and stainless rivets. In fact, I'm wearing one in my Avatar. It was sort of a right of passage. Rivets were used because surface divers were exposed to a lot of floating hydrocarbons that deteriorated the stitching. They had local cobblers sew homemade harnesses from 2" webbing from dive shops before the pioneers figured that out, long before I came along. Meanwhile, Navy heavy gear divers were still using leather belts and straps.

The simple harnesses without crotch straps were hard to slip out for surface diving because the pulling force was from the umbilical attached to the diaphragm level D-ring. Dead man/rescue rings were added to bell harnesses and worked fine when emergency procedure included flooding the bell about a third to recover the diver -- which is still faster than fooling around with block and tackles. Early bells didn't even have padeyes in the top of the bell for rescues. The center back ring was needed so the bellman could secure an unconscious diver to remove the mask or hat with the diver in the trunk. Bells were much smaller then but really just as crowded as modern bells. Most were two-man bells and all had a lot less gear inside.

One of our Master Divers in the Navy had Dick Long at DUI make some bailout Nylon vests with a crotch strap, deadman eyes, and weight pockets in the early 1970s. It was for sat diving only so quick release weights didn't matter. The US Navy used them for years but they were way too delicate and expensive for commercial sat work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom