Ti-Zip Dry Zipper Question & Drysuit Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inverting the suit and filling it with water may identify weeping areas that cannot be identified by a pressure test.
This! I had some weeps with a Whites Fusion and always thought it was the p-valve leaking, but after turning inside-out, place on some steps and fill with water, There's enough water head pressure to push though the suit, you'll find seeps almost immediately, even for those you'll never see with unaided eye.

Ironically, my now seven year old Santi E. Motion, which has a dozen patches and a brand new YKK plastic zipper, does not leak. Bought the TLS350 so I wouldn't have to worry about patching for several years.
I bought a brand new TLS350 once. It leaked during 98 of the 100 dives I made on it. The suit material had thousands of tiny pinholes.

I have the DUI Yukon ii and I'm having the exact same problem. I keep coming up wet in the crotch area and can't find any leaks. It seems to be seeping in from somewhere

Only that area? As a newish drysuit diver, I over-trimmed my neck seal a little, and if I wear something with a collar on it underneath, it may leak a little when I turn my head the wrong way. There seems to wind up being more wetness in the stomach area than in the neck area if that happens. I'm guessing that's where the water sort of pools. (Problem mostly goes away if I wear something with a crew neck underneath. After this season, I'll be replacing the seal.)

Only that area? As a newish drysuit diver, I over-trimmed my neck seal a little, and if I wear something with a collar on it underneath, it may leak a little when I turn my head the wrong way. There seems to wind up being more wetness in the stomach area than in the neck area if that happens. I'm guessing that's where the water sort of pools. (Problem mostly goes away if I wear something with a crew neck underneath. After this season, I'll be replacing the seal.)
Sometimes people look for the most problematic and expensive at the expense of the simple and easy to check.:wink:

does your zipper close down ward from the shoulder towards the hip? if so, stick a bunch of zipper wax on the end
Every plastic zipper user manual I've read recommends silicone grease. My latest drysuit came with a plastic zipper. If I don't dab a little silicone grease on the docking area once in a while, it'll leak, and I'll get uncomfortably wet. If I remember to dab a smidgen of silicone grease on the docking area, I'm good.

My previous suit had a brass zipper. If I slouched out on lubing it (with wax), it just became harder to open and close. If I slouch out on lubing the docking area of my current suit zipper, I get very, very wet. And quite cold.

Hello All:

I bought a DUI TLS350 about two years ago with a TiZip plastic zipper. My suit is leaking around my abdominal area. It's a small leak as I cannot immediately detect it but I know it has leaked when I'm chivering during deco. My LDS looked at the suit and cannot find a leak anywhere in the front or crotch area. Shop said the zipper was fine.

I'm thiking that the zipper is probably failing at some point and allowing water to seep in. Before I send the suit for a zipper replacement, any recommendation on what I should reinspect (material & zipper)?

Thank you,
O.

O...

Before you spend any money anywhere on anything...you should be contacting DUI...rather than speculation...you'll get the advice you need...and if a repair is needed...it may be covered at no cost to you...

One of my suits has a Master ''T''-Zip...and it's functioning fine...since new in 2017...all suits that come with a T-Zip come with an 8 gram tube of TZIP Lubricant...your zipper needs to be maintained clean...and the lubricant needs to be applied to the docking link as specified...

Again...contact DUI before you go out and start spending money...The folks at DUI are great...they've been looking after me/my DUI suits for years...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom