Hello from Pa.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. I would really enjoy trying out the lakes. Never got that far yet. Is the visibility pretty clear because of the temp of the water? I’ve heard it is.

I have dove with both Scott’s SCUBA and with Capt. Pete. Both are good choices.

Visibility is very much a variable in the lake. Storms stir it up, the time of the year and movement of the thermocline, etc. I consider 15' a good average on a good day. Below the thermocline vis can be very good, 30' or more. But Lake Erie (and Great Lakes in general) are not tropical clear-water diving. 5' vis or less is not uncommon. 2' or less is not uncommon on shallower wrecks, especially once divers stir up the sediment. The trick is to get close and enjoy what the lake gives you. And there is a lot of great shipwreck goodness to enjoy here.

Visibility is very much a variable in the lake. Storms stir it up, the time of the year and movement of the thermocline, etc. I consider 15' a good average on a good day. Below the thermocline vis can be very good, 30' or more. But Lake Erie (and Great Lakes in general) are not tropical clear-water diving. 5' vis or less is not uncommon. 2' or less is not uncommon on shallower wrecks, especially once divers stir up the sediment. The trick is to get close and enjoy what the lake gives you. And there is a lot of great shipwreck goodness to enjoy here.

I appreciate the info! Still sounds like a good experience. It’s actually more like what I was used to anyway locally.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom