Experience with Kraken Smart phone housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have experience, good or bad , with the Kraken smart phone housing? It looks like a fun piece of gear to have when the big rig is more than I want to deal with but I can't find much review material available.

I used one quite a bit a few years ago. Really solid housing. The in-phone camera was controlled and the images were processed by the WeeFine app then. You can now use the Dive+ app, which has really solid reviews. I can't comment on how that app processes the files (image quality, etc.). You can get great lighting using video lights as constant light on close subjects.

Here's a review I wrote in early 2017: Shooting a Smart Phone Underwater

Also check out this tutorial video on strobes vs. constant light: Underwater Camera Lights 101

A friend of mine uses that housing with a Galaxy S10 and gets great pictures; he seems pretty happy with it overall. Personally I wouldn't be able to relax with my phone underwater for fear I'd screw up on the seal or I'd just drop and lose the whole thing.

A friend of mine uses that housing with a Galaxy S10 and gets great pictures; he seems pretty happy with it overall. Personally I wouldn't be able to relax with my phone underwater for fear I'd screw up on the seal or I'd just drop and lose the whole thing.

Like wise here, I have a friend that uses one and likes it.

No way I'm taking my phone underwater.

Update: it appears my friend, mentioned above, has lost his phone in the ocean. I hope someone finds it and returns it to him, but this solidifies my opinion on the matter. Meanwhile my Olympus TG-5 in the Kraken housing has been serving me well. It's about the same size and weight as his setup, it takes good pictures despite my utter lack of photographic knowledge/skill, and though I'd also be bummed to lose it I'd much rather that than my phone.

You could use an older phone that would be cheaper than the camera.

My wife has one. We’ve only used it 4-5 dives so far with no issue. Her mentality is she has insurance on her phone so she’s ok with the risk of a leak etc. I don’t have phone insurance so I’d get an older phone to use.

used it at a dive shop I use to teach at.. worked good was kind of scared putting my phone in there the first few times.. but no prob.. works good I used the dive+ app.. then I bought a TG5 also a great camera

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom