Yet another question about lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drakcheslav

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I'm looking to buy myself a new recreational primary that I can use later on as a backup for tech and wreck diving. (Also possible cave diving)

I usually dive really murky green water, and I'm used to diving w/o a light, and I've only used rentals on couple of night dives I've been.

And looking for a one, I got overwhelmed.
I know it's not all in lumes or such, but it's also about much more factors.

Another one is I don't have access to a lat of options so my current options are:
1. Hesser Backup (kinda low on lumen but everyone else says it's amazing)
2. Gralmarine K2(similar specs as Heser)
3. Gralmarine KX (super bright 1300 lumen, do I even need as much?)
4. Scubapro Nova 720 (both low and high, but not sure if gimmicks are needed and wanted)

I intend to use the ligh on night dives, and for some low visibility dives.

I don't have the possibility to test them.

Thanks for your opinions

I like to do a lot of night dives. I am using the Big Blue VL4200P video lights. They have four power settings so using 10% level on a night dive is often enough. You can also switch to red light mode and they come with a yellow filter as well. 120 degree spread and they also come with a hand mount if you don't use a tray with a camera.

They last for hours on low power settings.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

The total lumen rating alone doesn't really tell how "bright" a light is. The angle those lumen are delivered over makes a big difference. I checked quickly and it looks like your 1 & 2 are narrow angle and 3 & 4 are wide. So as you say there's lots of factors to consider, but angle is a really important choice.

When diving murky water, people tend to prefer bright and narrow beams. They do a better job of punching through and lighting up what you're trying to see, instead of mostly lighting up all the crap in a big area of the water. They're also useful for signaling your buddy, which doesn't work so well with a softer wider beam.

(I only dive tropical and fairly clear water anymore, so my needs are different. I find that being able to adjust the brightness is useful, certainly not a gimmick. Often I don't want too bright at night as it can scare the critters I'm trying to see, and attract others ones I don't. But it's nice to have the option. Also, I usually want a wider beam at night, to make it easier to spot things. On the other hand, a narrow beam bright light is helpful for looking under ledges and such during the day. There are lights with adjustable beam width which can be handy, but I think those are less common than adjustable brightness.)

Another thing to be aware of is that there are lights out there that reputedly don't deliver the lumens they claim. Probably more likely with cheaper no-name lights rather than good brands and maybe not true of any of the ones you mention, but something to be aware of.

Hi Dragan, it's a good thing to look in the future and how you may be using equipment. How soon will you be starting anything Tec related training? If you have an instructor with whom you want to train reach out to him or her.
My advice, a backup light in Tec might not have the same requirements that you seek in a primary light right now. So at least consider to drop the re-usability during Tec/cave.

I also have a very powerful dive torch it's 10 watts so its like a search light really so bright even on day dives have to be careful not to point it at people.

Keeping a low powered light with a narrow beam for caves and looking for things on night dives it good too. My dive torch on night dives gives a very long pencil beam but is great for spotting things in the distance.

I'm not sure what kind of light you're looking at, but for recreational, non technical diving, it would be tough to beat the DGX 600 from dive gear express. It's $60 and certainly bright enough for any rec diving. You could buy a 2nd battery (actually it might be a good idea to get 2 better quality 18650 batteries anyways) for multiple dives. If you're looking for a quasi technical light but not canister, a lot of people seem to like the dive rite LX20, but that's $400. The big difference is burn time. Quality is high on both of these lights and I think DGX ships to Europe easily.

Video lights make a horrible primary dive light. You can't signal. Nobody you dive with can see you or any hand signals you are trying to make. All they see is a spot of light. They are engineered to put light everywhere. Only useful for filming stuff.

A nice affordable recreational light that has got a lot of compliments from people I dive with is https://www.diverightinscuba.com/1000-lumen-dive-light-18965.html
The Goodman handle option is junk, but the light itself is really good. Had it for years, taken a beating, traveled the world. Easily compares or outperforms light costing twice as much. Side benefit is you can load it with 3 C-cell batteries found anywhere in the world.

Thanks for all the input.
Deciy to skip the pricey backup torches untill I reach a tech level, and on a recommendation got a 5k version ov SD05

#Aliexpress US $22.42 22%OFF | Sofirn New SD05 Scuba Dive LED Flashlight Diving Light Cree XHP50.2 Super Bright 2550lm 21700 Lamp with Magnetic Switch 3 Modes
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVKuEy3

I already do that with my watch. So I don't thunky it will be a problem.
And I usually dive fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom