Who's still diving AGA system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agadiver78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just curious how many bugger heads out there still refuse to quit diving
their old AGA 324's? ;-)
IMG_1119.JPG

looks like a flame thrower.

Try getting a 5000 psi fill at my local dive shop. :)

Seatec made a wing specifically for that system.
Yeah that was a neat setup! This was my Seatec rig back in 1978 (not the AGA specific rig). Prior to that it was pretty much horse collar.

IMG_1545.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 95
Try getting a 5000 psi fill at my local dive shop. :)
Off topic a little but too bad you are in CA. I can fill it. We have to fill a military cyl. 5000 psi He with this beasty. 1100 cf which they just dump!!! I hate to put that on my back!!
IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

I dove one a few times back in the 1970's and really liked it. I tried to get one of their current setups a few years ago but they were very hard to contact and unresponsive so I put together my own set of tiny doubles for a lot less $$$, using Poseidon regulators and an Apeks WTX backwing. It's 100 scf @2500psi.

Apeks%20twins-X3.jpg

Yes, that is the drawback for trying to maintain the original AGA (circa 70s)
#1 you really cant find anyone who will service them (regarding the "pre" Interspiro - AGA system) and hydros/VIP's are difficult to find at best. (you best be qualified/able to service them yourself)
#2 very few if any alive in the industry that ever had exposure/experience with the system which creates problems
at the local DS.
#3 Spares? forget it unless you have a good stock you have kept over the years.
#4 there are plenty of other reasons to avoid them, unless you know what you have.
I have two sets with current Hydro, but both recently ran out of VIP time so
I will most likely lean them against the wall with the rest of my "vintage collectables".
Having dove this design along with many other more conventional types of SCUBA,
the AGA ranks at the top of my list of cool, exotic and functional dive equipment.
Too bad the working pressure prevented it from gaining more traction in the US market over the years.
IMG_1546.JPG

What were their buoyancy characteristics? If I remember right they were a "tad" negative when full?

Back
Top Bottom