anticipated changes due to lost weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies.
Loosing weight was not my choice. My wife is not a good cook (please don't tell her) and during the lock-down there was no other option than starve :) Just kidding.

As a kid and teenager I was always on the fat side. That was until I was 20 or so years old (around 2000). Then I started swimming and by 2005 I was doing 2.5km/1.5mile swimming sections 4-5 times a week. I was about 85kg/188 pounds. Then slowly things went back to "normal". Got a job, started moving around the globe, swimming became more and more sparse, got married, then got kids etc etc and slowly I was getting fatter and fatter. A couple of years ago mainly driven by my desire to become a better diver I again lost some weight (10kg/20lbs) through diet but right after this, again slowly I started putting on weight and somewhere in mid of January I couldn't stand this route any more.

By coincidence right then I fount a wonderful App (its called "Eat right now"). It is not a diet App - it doesn't discus what or how much to eat at all. The main focus is on how our brain works, habit loops and how to avoid them, the mentality/reasoning behind things like the how, why and when of eating etc. It is highly recommended. Some people might find it a bit strange or even disturbing that it includes elements of meditation and mindfulness, but these are there just to help and I wouldn't call them essential parts of the program at all. The best part is that it works. Even day 1 had a huge impact on me! Now I have a very clear view of what was wrong with my eating habits - hence I feel that I am much better equipped with the tools needed to avoid these behaviors in the future.

Anyway, back to diving. I forgot to mention that I usually intentionally dive about 2pounds/1kg heavy (due to solo I carry a 7lt AL pony that has the potential of becoming positive if I ever need to use it). I was thinking to remove this extra kg/2pounds to begin with.

For now the main thing is when our government is going to allow us to dive. Seems that from Monday we will be allowed to, but still it is not 100% clear. I am getting my tanks filled tomorrow anyway just in case.

All the best

That one thing that you pre-emptively blew off.... your wetsuit fit.

you’ll soon be realizing that’s going to be a HUGE part of the equation.

That one thing that you pre-emptively blew off.... your wetsuit fit.
you’ll soon be realizing that’s going to be a HUGE part of the equation.

There are few reasons why I don't consider changing wet suit for now. First I am not done with weight lose as yet. I am still (slowly) loosing weight and I plan/hope to settle somewhere around 85kg/185lbs in the long term. But it will be at least few months from now until I know. Secondly and more importantly, most of my family's income is coming from tourism. Hence until the COVID-19 is gone for good, I have to greatly limit expenses.

Reactions: Doc
I understand the situation, but Doc is right. Just know it's one of the very first things to deal with.

I went from 225lb to 165lb back(beer) to(beer) 175(beer) where I've settled in - just wasn't willing to do what it took to stay at 165. (102kg-75kg-79kg)

My old wetsuit was like a garbage bag on me. I was cold and uncomfortable.

The other really big thing I noticed was my SAC improved dramatically.

I use a stainless BPW. I had 4lb on belt when I was 225. Went to no ditch-able weight at 165/175.

another benefit... your junk will look bigger.

just saying

another benefit... your junk will look bigger.
That's the least of my problems.
According to the scale below from another recent thread (removing condom cath):

20200420_150820-jpg.581691.jpg

I am a couple of cm longer than the XL :yeahbaby:

umm, that measurement is in milimeters.

Thanks for all the replies.
Loosing weight was not my choice. My wife is not a good cook (please don't tell her) and during the lock-down there was no other option than starve :) Just kidding.

As a kid and teenager I was always on the fat side. That was until I was 20 or so years old (around 2000). Then I started swimming and by 2005 I was doing 2.5km/1.5mile swimming sections 4-5 times a week. I was about 85kg/188 pounds. Then slowly things went back to "normal". Got a job, started moving around the globe, swimming became more and more sparse, got married, then got kids etc etc and slowly I was getting fatter and fatter. A couple of years ago mainly driven by my desire to become a better diver I again lost some weight (10kg/20lbs) through diet but right after this, again slowly I started putting on weight and somewhere in mid of January I couldn't stand this route any more.

By coincidence right then I fount a wonderful App (its called "Eat right now"). It is not a diet App - it doesn't discus what or how much to eat at all. The main focus is on how our brain works, habit loops and how to avoid them, the mentality/reasoning behind things like the how, why and when of eating etc. It is highly recommended. Some people might find it a bit strange or even disturbing that it includes elements of meditation and mindfulness, but these are there just to help and I wouldn't call them essential parts of the program at all. The best part is that it works. Even day 1 had a huge impact on me! Now I have a very clear view of what was wrong with my eating habits - hence I feel that I am much better equipped with the tools needed to avoid these behaviors in the future.

Anyway, back to diving. I forgot to mention that I usually intentionally dive about 2pounds/1kg heavy (due to solo I carry a 7lt AL pony that has the potential of becoming positive if I ever need to use it). I was thinking to remove this extra kg/2pounds to begin with.

For now the main thing is when our government is going to allow us to dive. Seems that from Monday we will be allowed to, but still it is not 100% clear. I am getting my tanks filled tomorrow anyway just in case.

All the best

Hello neighbor. Great for your weight loss. And I'm glad someone else has these positive problems.
I also lost similar amount of weight and I'm currently on 96kg, with plans on going down as low as I can. Also, just got a new wetsuit, And already I realize that the area around the stomach will be quite comfortable. :D Good thing is I can't get any shorter or my shoulders narrower. :D

I hope I'm gonna drop at least 2 kg with my weight loss. I used to need 9kg fot 2x7mm suit with a steel 12l. I'm going for a dive day after tomorrow, and I'm gonna do a buoyancy check after the dive since I switched to a back-plate from a stab jacket, and I'm gonna update you on how much weight I will need.

Hopefully all this will pass soon, I have some dives planed in Neos Marmaras in June. :D

Hello neighbor. Great for your weight loss. And I'm glad someone else has these positive problems.
I also lost similar amount of weight and I'm currently on 96kg, with plans on going down as low as I can. Also, just got a new wetsuit, And already I realize that the area around the stomach will be quite comfortable. :D Good thing is I can't get any shorter or my shoulders narrower. :D

I hope I'm gonna drop at least 2 kg with my weight loss. I used to need 9kg fot 2x7mm suit with a steel 12l. I'm going for a dive day after tomorrow, and I'm gonna do a buoyancy check after the dive since I switched to a back-plate from a stab jacket, and I'm gonna update you on how much weight I will need.

Hopefully all this will pass soon, I have some dives planed in Neos Marmaras in June. :D

From Monday we are allowed to dive too. Got my tank full this morning. Guess what I will be doing first thing on Monday...

June sounds a bit too early to have international traveling etc restored by then, but who knows. Few days ago, here everybody was convinced that this thing will last loooong... Within just a couple of days everything seems to be going unbelievably good. Who knows how things will be in few weeks.

I am from Crete (southern part of Greece) and unfortunately I haven't dived anywhere else around Greece. I know the sea and beaches in Chalkidiki are brilliant so diving should be nice too.

All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom