Snorkel Mask PPE Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2 is being pumped into the mask. Patients O2 levels are being monitored in real time. This brand of mask never had the CO2 issue. They've removed the snorkel and replaced with a custom adapter for O2 and aspiration. Where is the problem?
According to the YouTube video, there is no oxygen being pumped in. I think you are thinking of a different product.

SeaRat

These snorkel FFMs have sealed nose and mouth compartments with 2 mushroom one-way valves to allow air to pass only from the snorkel and eye chamber into the nose/mouth chamber and not the other way. Exhalation is through a third mushroom valve in the front.

Your concern is real though because earlier designs of these FFMs allowed CO2 to build up inside the mask because of poorly designed airflows which allowed air to flow back and forth.
Thanks for the update. I have now watched different YouTube videos, and the Ocean Reef APA looks to be much better than either cloth masks or surgical masks. I was not aware of the front exhalation valve.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP(retired), CIH(2006-2018), MSPH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom