Lost diver - Port Royal Sound, South Carolina - Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@CT-Rich. I agree that we should not make uninformed judgments about this diver, but did I miss something in this thread that confirms that the diver passed as you stated?
That was my bad, but missing since Tuesday is not good. I do hope he is found alive. Prayers for the family

I did read the second article (after posting my above comments). When I added my Nautilus to me kit, it went in a pocket I added just for such things. I would have to actively remove it from my kit. The default is that it always goes in the water with me. It is a little surprising that he wouldn’t have it stowed in a way that he would even need to think about it.

This is blackwater diving with, usually, high current. If you were going to dive in these conditions strapped to another diver, you might as well stay on the boat and play tug-of-war instead. The odds of encountering one another on the surface are nil.

Reading is fundamental. Again, not talking about diving, talking about on the surface.

Thanks for the link Angelo.

It sounds like they did take extra precautions. Good on them. Hopefully he is found soon.

Well I read it but still don't get it.

You @wRick said "If you were going to dive in these conditions strapped to another diver, you might as well stay on the boat and play tug-of-war instead. The odds of encountering one another on the surface are nil."

While I am completely unfamilair with the u/w conditions in area in question, if you go diving 'strapped' to another diver (by which I assume you mean connected by a line / rope), why wouldn't you end up together, or at least still connected, on the surface at the end of the dive?

What am I missing?

You wouldn't go diving in this area for this purpose strapped to another diver. While you might make it back to the surface still strapped to your buddy if you chose to go in that way, its unlikely you would make it to the bottom. Its even less likely that you would accomplish the purpose of diving here which is to find shark teeth and other fossils.

If you dove the way that people do when they dive in these conditions, that is alone, you would never encounter the other diver on the surface to strap yourselves together.

It's silly to suggest that they might have strapped themselves together in any scenario.

I realize this goes against the rules, not diving with a buddy, but this is how this kind of diving is done.

For better or worse.

I didn't understand wRick's previous point either. Thanks for clarifying. I carry a buddy line for rare use, but I have had a bud release it in zero viz. Hunters of any kind would refuse them I suppose. These two agreed to take turns diving and keep the diver on a line, but we don't know why that failed.

It sounds like they did take extra precautions.
They purchased some sort of Gps devices, but he forgot his, then forgot to take his bud's on that last dive. These two agreed to take turns diving and keep the diver on a line, but we don't know why that failed.

Reading is fundamental. Again, not talking about diving, talking about on the surface.
Huh?

Thanks for the clarification, so to speak.

If you dove the way that people do when they dive in these conditions, that is alone, you would never encounter the other diver on the surface to strap yourselves together.

But your earlier comment "If you were going to dive in these conditions strapped to another diver'....." seemed to imply (to me) that the divers would enter the water strapped together. Now understand your point however.

It's silly to suggest that they might have strapped themselves together in any scenario.

Doing it may be in most circumstances. But it is not 'silly' for someone to suggest it, as I have personally seen people diving like that in some parts of the world.

I realize this goes against the rules, not diving with a buddy, but this is how this kind of diving is done.

Solo diving is quite acceptable (IMO) if one is trained / equipped to do so.

For better or worse.

Unfortunately in this case it seems to be for the worse.

Actually this is a no-blame forum.
That is a very important point! For example, air crash investigations are run by engineers and the aim is to find out what happened, so that controls can be put into place to stop it happening in the future, not to find someone to blame. It is assumed that humans are real, fallible people and that human error will occur as an inevitable part of any process. That's a major reason why air travel is so safe.

The search has been suspended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom