Has anyone taken the Historian Diver class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a distinctive specialty, one written and offered by an individual instructor. Quality of such classes varies....depends upon the instructor. PADI has approved it, but that's pretty nominal. You can often find the same information yourself, but you usually have to work hard at it and be good at sorting the good info from the bad or wrong.

I'd like a PADI Scubaboard certification please. It's all the written non-skill specialties rolled into one.

The instructor is considered to be good from what I’ve heard from other locals.

AquaLung’s website has some information about early regulator development. Deco for Divers by Mark Powell has some info on diving history. If you’re looking for scuba history, probably reading up on Cousteau would take care of it. Look up posts from @Sam Miller III as he has posted a lot of information on scuba in California, where scuba diving was first introduced in the US.

Historian Diver Class - VIRTUAL CLASS

Has anybody taken this course, or anything similar?

No, we spent time at the archives. Hence, I know more.

Are there any websites that already have this information compiled?

It's called wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_scuba_diving

History of underwater diving - Wikipedia
Timeline of diving technology - Wikipedia
Scuba diving - Wikipedia
Diving bell - Wikipedia

If you are a freediver, then maybe you want to read the result of my [not academic] research,
Ancient history of diving (It is a very good index to ancient diving litterature).

reading up on Cousteau

is extremely recent,
but a very good start.

Benoît Rouquayrol, Edmond Halley, Albrecht von Treileben, Leonardo da Vinci, da Lorena, ..., Athenaeus, Oppian, Aristoteles, Aristippus, Platon, Skyllias, Gilgamesh... So many more.

I'm sure you will enjoy the class greatly if 1) you are interested in history and 2) the instructor is interested in history

[deleted; included above]

Thank you for the responses. I will check out those pages.

Stay safe!

Shipwrecks and Submerged Worlds Free Online Course - FutureLearn
eLearning

Alternatively, you might check out these offerings. I did the Futurelearn course on line a few years ago when it was first offered. It was a great experience.

I have done an in-person NAS class in Introduction to Foreshore and underwater Archaeology in Alaska a few years back. We ended up surveying an old landing craft on the beach. It was a great experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom