Southwest cancelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow. that seems a bit aggressive. maybe they know something we don't. haha

Yeah, they cancelled us July 28 and Aug 5 (going and returning.) As the post above says, cancelled all flights to and from Coz through Aug 10.

The weird thing was that I waited for a refund and it wasn't happening. So I called them, spoke with a rep. He told me that their system is set up to assume by default that people want to rebook when a flight is cancelled, so the system waits for instructions... rebook or refund? Even though they cancelled the flights, and there's no opportunity to rebook, refunds were not being issued automatically. They didn't do it intentionally, just the way their system is.

The rep processed my refund, only took 30 seconds. And I was glad I called.

wow. that seems a bit aggressive. maybe they know something we don't. haha

I was told it was just a matter of anticipating the flights wouldn't be profitable. We rebooked on AA, got a better schedule out of it also. The AA flights DFW to CZM on 7/28 and back on 8/5 were both about half full as of last week. So it seems AA will fill up their plane, and then by June we'll see whether demand increases enough for other airlines to offer their flights.

If the island is open for business, there will be plenty of pent up demand to fill the planes. If not, then AA will cancel on us also. And we'll wait a few more months.

Either way, we're prepaying our week of diving. Seems like a win-win... they get the money when they need it, and we have extra motivation to get there as soon as we can.

All Cozumel flights on Southwest cancelled through the end of the schedule (October).

this makes no sense. what am i missing ? this area is starting to reopen early june. so why would an airline cancel flights that far in advance ? i don't get it.

My guess is it’s a matter of economics for the airlines. They are reducing their fleets and their route network. They are going to focus on the more lucrative routes that serve business travelers, which tend to offer higher profit margins.

I would guess even with a full load the profit margin on this leisure route is way less than most of their routes, especially in the US. I’m sure they’ll still fly into Cancun so they probably figure that will work since that’s what they’ve done for years before introducing flights to Coz.

Just this morning I saw availability to Cancun on SW for most of June. I might go on a cave trip then. I think that's fairly low exposure; no boat, team of two divers, probably stay in a 2 room B&B.

I checked a US consulate page and it said anyone flying into a Mexican airport should expect some health screening, basically an interview and temp check. Does that sound accurate? Anyone know about flying back into the U.S. from Mex?

My guess is it’s a matter of economics for the airlines. They are reducing their fleets and their route network. They are going to focus on the more lucrative routes that serve business travelers, which tend to offer higher profit margins.

I would guess even with a full load the profit margin on this leisure route is way less than most of their routes, especially in the US. I’m sure they’ll still fly into Cancun so they probably figure that will work since that’s what they’ve done for years before introducing flights to Coz.
That sounds like a good evaluation. They may still have the planes, but they're in long term parking, and they are laying off pilots, FAs, and support employees.

A couple of airlines have already given up assigned routes between the US and Europe rather than fly empty planes. I think they'll want to keep Cancun.

I just got an email from American about a trip we hope to take in a couple of weeks to California, if the state and our selected national parks are open. I think they are desperate for money and just trying to sell us seats instead of us using our Basic Economy tickets and taking our chances on switching for free after 24-hour check-in. I suspect many of those X seats aren't really taken. Like who would buy those four middle seats with seats on either side still for sale?

000.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom