Review Review: Replaceable Neoprene neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 more short dives this past weekend with the replaceable neoprene neck seal. 3 more warm, dry, comfy dives....

When I purchased my Aqualung drysuit I was told that Si Tech makes the SLT system. The neck is the same as quick neck and the wrists are the Si Tech ovals.

My crushed suit has neoprene neck and wrist seals. I get a little seepage around the wrists but my neck stays dry and warm. I’m not sure why they are not more popular.

My crushed suit has neoprene neck and wrist seals. I get a little seepage around the wrists but my neck stays dry and warm. I’m not sure why they are not more popular.

I think neo neck seals aren’t as popular simply because they are not one-size-fits-all, like latex and silicone are. And, replaceable neo neck seals are a fairly recent invention.

My trilam suit came with a (glued) neoprene neck seal. It is the only part of the suit I dislike, and I will change it when it's worn. It makes my neck feel like it's burning and leaves a red mark like I've tried to end my time in this world. I'm ok if I lube up my neck seal, which is what I do. I do get a few questioning looks when someone looks in my dive bag or sees me kit up.

Interestingly, I've never had issues with neoprene wetsuits.

My ursuit with replaceable neck seal came standard with a neoprene seal, about a year ago. I changed it immedtiately for silicone, as I was used to this, and kept the other one as a spare.
In november, I was diving in arctic conditions and after a day or two, I decided to try the neoprene seal.

It didn't come off since. I really like it. It feels softer, warmer and just more comfortable. And if possible, I will avoid latex for the rest of my life.

I think neo neck seals aren’t as popular simply because they are not one-size-fits-all, like latex and silicone are. And, replaceable neo neck seals are a fairly recent invention.

probably right on the size issue. Although, with what people spend on drysuits a little extra effort to fit a neck seal doesn’t seem like a big deal.

My ursuit with replaceable neck seal came standard with a neoprene seal, about a year ago. I changed it immedtiately for silicone, as I was used to this, and kept the other one as a spare.
In november, I was diving in arctic conditions and after a day or two, I decided to try the neoprene seal.

It didn't come off since. I really like it. It feels softer, warmer and just more comfortable. And if possible, I will avoid latex for the rest of my life.

My impression is that crushed/compressed suits are more common is Europe. Colder water and rougher conditions warrant the suits advantages over shell suits. That’s why a neo suit made sense to me diving in NJ and Great Lakes. Do you see more shell or neo suits?

My trilam suit came with a (glued) neoprene neck seal. It is the only part of the suit I dislike, and I will change it when it's worn. It makes my neck feel like it's burning and leaves a red mark like I've tried to end my time in this world. I'm ok if I lube up my neck seal, which is what I do. I do get a few questioning looks when someone looks in my dive bag or sees me kit up.

Interestingly, I've never had issues with neoprene wetsuits.

I wonder if your neck seal is simply too small?

probably right on the size issue. Although, with what people spend on drysuits a little extra effort to fit a neck seal doesn’t seem like a big deal.

Yeah, but it seems like a lot of people buy off-the-rack suits. I think sizing for OTR is hard enough, when they have to make the torso fit, the legs fit, and get the right size boots on it. Adding one more thing that has to be "the right size" seems like it would just make OTR that much harder.

If the suit is OTR but has a replaceable neck seal setup, well then, it seems a silicone seal is a lot less expensive than a neo one, so maybe that just put a cheap seal on it and let the buyer upgrade later, if they want - to keep the price tag down.

But, for anyone ordering a made to measure suit, I would say they should not be "fooled" by the fact that most of the suits they see have latex or silicone. I think neo is better in every way. Just not as common, because it's not one-size-fits-all, and a little more expensive. Sometimes, "what everyone else has" is a good indicator of what is best. Sometimes, it is not.

Yeah, but it seems like a lot of people buy off-the-rack suits. I think sizing for OTR is hard enough, when they have to make the torso fit, the legs fit, and get the right size boots on it. Adding one more thing that has to be "the right size" seems like it would just make OTR that much harder.

If the suit is OTR but has a replaceable neck seal setup, well then, it seems a silicone seal is a lot less expensive than a neo one, so maybe that just put a cheap seal on it and let the buyer upgrade later, if they want - to keep the price tag down.

But, for anyone ordering a made to measure suit, I would say they should not be "fooled" by the fact that most of the suits they see have latex or silicone. I think neo is better in every way. Just not as common, because it's not one-size-fits-all, and a little more expensive. Sometimes, "what everyone else has" is a good indicator of what is best. Sometimes, it is not.
Funny how a whole neoprene suit is cheaper that trilam but this neck seal is so pricy, I will end up buying one but wish you had tried yours a few months ago when they were $20 cheaper :wink:

Back
Top Bottom