CAYMAN Borders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've watched every one of the daily briefings the past couple of months, and the Premier has been all over the place in speculating when the borders might open. Technically the order to close the borders ends May 31, but there appears to be no way it won't be extended. He has said over and over (and over) in his briefings that opening the borders depends on the virus activity in the countries that represent most of the CI tourism business - mostly the US, and then Canada and the UK. And has speculated many times that that may require closing until the end of the year. But then today he said borders would remain closed probably through June and also through Sept 1. We are assuming it will go beyond September.

We come every year in November for a couple of weeks and again in early January for 4 - 5 months. But we are thinking of staying here if possible (not getting on any future repatriation flights that might be offered) as we don't think we'll be able to return for a very long time if we leave. And given that water activities for the locals will probably/hopefully resume in a few weeks, I want to finally getting some diving in after staying dry these past couple of months with the water having been off limits.

@shrop3483 please post or PM if/when you open up again! And best of luck getting through this intact.

Stay safe and hope for the best!

Thanks for the update.

Some awesome folks I met when I was on Brac in December are trying to organize their 50th wedding anniversary trip back to the Brac in August. They invited us (which I thought was very kind of them) but now it looks like they may have to cancel.

Hope everyone stays safe and well on the islands

The new legislation is to extend the closure from May to September. It is a formality that needs to be done. It does not mean they will open in September but that the closing is extended. In any event it is highly unlikely that when the borders reopen, tourists will be allowed back immediately. Business travel and travel for residents yes. Many children here go to school overseas, families are separated etc. It has been said repeatedly that tourism may be able to return by December and then based on what screening etc is available. A vaccine could be a game changer but it will be a wait and see approach. Most of our visitors come from the US and things are not looking promising for that end. The Premier has also stated many times that the situation as well as the one in the UK could be a problem. However no one said we would be reopening in September rather that they are now confirming that we will be closed until at least then. The Brac and Little Cayman are having their restrictions lifted as they appear to be Covid free. They are still closed except to essential workers. I would not be planning an event and I live in Grand Cayman! As mi000ke said there are many variables.

I made 3 trips to Cayman last year, and sorely miss having an Ironshore while watching the sun set at Sunset House or Maccabuc. But regardless of CI opening, I don’t envision going through an airport or getting on a commercial flight in 2020.

Wife and I did our honeymoon on Brac at Divi 25 years ago this August. We were hoping to be in LC this year for our 25th anniversary, but it sounds like we will have to take a rain check on that one...

Back
Top Bottom