Dive Travel Poll

When will you start traveling to go diving?

• Within the next six months.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • 6 months - 1 year

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Beyond 1 year

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will probably be over a year for me. I won't travel until I can get a vaccine. I usually travel in the summer as my wife is a schoolteacher. Next opportunity will likely be June 2021 or thereabouts... although a spring break trip to Honduras MIGHT get me on a plane sooner. Still need a vaccine first.

I see massive disruption until we get a vaccine that is widely distributed.

2020 travel will mostly be essential travel with 14-21 days of self-isolation (entering destination country, and then returning to the home country) in some cases.

I don't see myself diving for 18+ months. But when I have a trip planned, I will review some basic dive theory and protocols. I will get my equipment serviced. Then I will ease into some shallow dives, and review basic skills.

Diving is an unessential activity for most; getting control of this pandemic and looking after each other should be our focus.

I've been trying to envision how the operation(s) I dive with or have been diving with would function with these new guidelines in place and found myself wondering how it would be possible in the dive school environments that I most familiar with. I suspect things wouldn't be quite as complicated in a resort environment, an environment where most people bring their own gear, to raise one issue.

I do travel with my own gear but, by and large, most people I end up diving with are using shop gear and I'm wondering how that would work. Another is the typically crowed van ( or boat ). In Bali all the seats in the van were filled with the divemasters sitting in the back cargo area for the Amed-Tulamben trip. I suppose a workaround for that would be for the shop to strictly dive Amed and if I wanted to dive Tulamben, then I'd have to move up there. Which I'd do.

Without a "return to normal" I'm wondering whether these type of operations would be able to survive.

For now, I'll just have to cross my fingers and watch Sea of Creepy Monsters over and over.

As I mentioned before, for us it is sort of eay to adjust our way of working a bit. Becasue we already offer a very personaized service for 20 years. I do not think in countries where they used to put 20plus divers on a boat can operate different than they are used to do, without raising the prices very much. We can only hope for a vaccine which gives almost full protection. Only then it would be possible to go back to business as usual. In the meantime just enjoy this amazing life.

as soon as travel restrictions are lifted. penned up in the house like a caged animal is not a life worth living.
That sounds very sad. I can highly recommend Marcus Aurelius.

I see massive disruption until we get a vaccine that is widely distributed.

2020 travel will mostly be essential travel with 14-21 days of self-isolation (entering destination country, and then returning to the home country) in some cases.

I don't see myself diving for 18+ months. But when I have a trip planned, I will review some basic dive theory and protocols. I will get my equipment serviced. Then I will ease into some shallow dives, and review basic skills.

Diving is an unessential activity for most; getting control of this pandemic and looking after each other should be our focus.

You paint a realistic picture I am afraid. But we are not sure there will be a vaccine, and if so, when, and how much protection will it offer.
I cannot imagine yet how international tourism will look like 18 months from now. Which airliners will still be in business? Which hotels and dive centers survived or can restart again? Will many people have learned to enjoy themselves as much in other ways instead?

You paint a realistic picture I am afraid. But we are not sure there will be a vaccine, and if so, when, and how much protection will it offer.

Yep. If I recall correctly, last season's flu vaccine only claimed 70% protection. Hmmm...

It is so very hard, or just impossible, to predict how things will develop from here/now. Plenty of theories, but still a total lack of data. In the meantime we are thinking how it will, or should, change the way we run our business. Run our life. Live a boards with a 1.5 meter rule? Not a business we are in, but just wondering. Should we change the way we set up our restaurants in our resorts? No buddy-checks anymore? Already for many years we offer the service of a private boat, will that be standard service? Massage and spa with face-masks? What will flights costs when the space between passengers should be much wider? (Or will people stay at home with a future generation of VR glasses?). Or will it be back to business as usual? Anyway, in the meantime, stay safe and happy.

Very valid points. If the long term end game is to prevent deaths, then surely they can logically equate to prohibit thousands of other things...I mean millions of people die every year from cancer and heart disease caused by tobacco, but hey that industry's worth trillions $$$, so not happening soon.

I believe common sense and spirit of Indonesian people to prevail. No doubt the government will be pushing hard for travel and tourism to get back up and running, especially in Bali, when all the media and "hysteria" settles down. I truly believe natural disasters are more of an imminent threat to people's lives than the covid-19 virus in Indonesia

Good luck with your bisnis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom