Details on new rEvo stand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a picture on FB that rEvo now has a factory optional stand for the rEvo CCR. The poster also said the stand is 200 euros. And the stand weighs 1.45kg, and said that it is titanium.

Also, I talked to a rEvo insider yesterday that said the new stand will only install on a 2019 or newer unit, unless you're willing to drill the case on your older unit to install some nutserts (or whatever they're calling them).

Do any of you have more details and/or better pictures?

From the picture I saw, it looks like a base plate is permanently attached to the rEvo case. Then there are standoffs and a bottom piece that bolt onto that.

The things I am wondering:

How tall can you make it? Will they have different size standoffs, so you can have it taller or shorter, as you prefer? I have a DSIX stand on my Mini and it is 6" high, which puts the rEvo at a nice height for me to don the unit when it's sitting on a boat bench. Much better than a unit with no stand.

If you remove the bottom and standoffs, does it leave a nice, flat bottom, so the unit can stand up on its own (and be stable)? At least as stable as the stock unit with the 4 rubber feet, anyway. That seems like it would be nice if you want to take the bottom off for travel and just leave it at home.

It seems like, between the light weight of titanium and the ability to easily (it appears) remove the legs and bottom piece, it would be pretty ideal for breaking the stand down, fitting it all into a travel case, and still keeping a Micro under an airline weight limit (i.e. 50#).

I saw that Kent Tooling has a stand that seems very similar. Except, the KT stand is stainless steel, so it's a fair bit heavier. But, the KT stand also has some nice-looking add-on pieces, like some D-rings that bolt right on, for hanging BO cylinders sidemount style.

I don’t know anything about revo’s but I can say anything Kent tooling makes is top quality and their customer service is excellent. If their stand fits your needs, they’re great to deal with.

That revo stand seems like alot of weight in a bad place for the 2” boost it looks to give

That revo stand seems like alot of weight in a bad place for the 2” boost it looks to give

Are you saying it looks worse in that regard than other stands, like the Kent Tooling?

My only experience is with my current rEvo (Mini) with a Don Six stand on it. That stand is stainless and weighs, well, I don't know exactly, but I guess at least a couple of pounds. It is great to have when my rEvo is sitting on a boat bench and I'm trying to get into it. SO much easier than getting into with no stand!

As for the placement of the weight, well, I usually use no weight at all and have no problem hovering motionless and in trim. I attribute some of that to having a Nomad XT wing on my unit, which puts more lift in the lower part, to hold up the tail. Regardless, I'm good with the placement of the weight of the stand - on my Mini, anyway. I just got a Micro that I have not dived yet. What is required to get it to trim out remains to be seen.

I am hoping the rEvo stand is titanium. If it's stainless, then I'll be debating between another DSIX or the Kent Tooling.

I had a steel mini and now have a micro. I dive in a 3mm wetsuit mostly and just tried out a 5mm and it was a real pia to get into the micro which I mostly attribute to the stock revo harness on there now, Im at its limits to get the thing high enough up my back. A stand would be nice....However, when I had my mini I had dived if with 3L, 2L, and 2L cf bottles no weight on it each iteration needing less gas in the wing. Now when I got the micro which is alot lighter I just went straight to the 2L cf added some weight but found I didnt need it. Its pretty awesome to only put a small squirt of gas in the wing if you are wreck diving, as loop volume is primarily screwing with your bouyancy and not the wing as well. Anyway thats why I dont add a stand. I could also see adding a stand and a float to negate it and the weight of steels if I dive those.

I had a steel mini and now have a micro. I dive in a 3mm wetsuit mostly and just tried out a 5mm and it was a real pia to get into the micro which I mostly attribute to the stock revo harness on there now, Im at its limits to get the thing high enough up my back. A stand would be nice....However, when I had my mini I had dived if with 3L, 2L, and 2L cf bottles no weight on it each iteration needing less gas in the wing. Now when I got the micro which is alot lighter I just went straight to the 2L cf added some weight but found I didnt need it. Its pretty awesome to only put a small squirt of gas in the wing if you are wreck diving, as loop volume is primarily screwing with your bouyancy and not the wing as well. Anyway thats why I dont add a stand. I could also see adding a stand and a float to negate it and the weight of steels if I dive those.

I'm looking forward to experiencing that. I have been diving my steel mini with 3L steel cylinders. Even when I was in Utila and only wearing a rash guard and board shorts. I didn't feel like I had any real issues with my buoyancy there. But, if going to the Micro and a titanium stand lets me use even less air in my wing, that will be great.

I have the Kent tooling stand. Highly recommend it for durability and ergonomics. I'm 6ft 3". For hard boat diving with two 80cft cylinders, its a must to prevent a sore back while kitting up and waiting to jump. Also I need about 15lbs with my rEvo standard and the stainless steel stand is about a third of this weight. So I find that I can balance my rig with 5lbs for the stand at the bottom, 5lbs on the weight shelf above the scrubber at the top of the unnit and 5lbs of a special modular weight system that can be bolted to the top bracket for the harness and wing i.e.e its roughly in the middle of the unit.
This way the unit balances out neutral. A plus, is that the stand provides you with loads of real estate to clip off SMB's, cylinders, lift bags etc.

I have the Kent tooling stand. Highly recommend it for durability and ergonomics. I'm 6ft 3". For hard boat diving with two 80cft cylinders, its a must to prevent a sore back while kitting up and waiting to jump. Also I need about 15lbs with my rEvo standard and the stainless steel stand is about a third of this weight. So I find that I can balance my rig with 5lbs for the stand at the bottom, 5lbs on the weight shelf above the scrubber at the top of the unnit and 5lbs of a special modular weight system that can be bolted to the top bracket for the harness and wing i.e.e its roughly in the middle of the unit.
This way the unit balances out neutral. A plus, is that the stand provides you with loads of real estate to clip off SMB's, cylinders, lift bags etc.

It sounds good, but I still have one major reservation. How easy is it to fly with it?

If you want to take it off, to fit your rEvo in a travel case, can you remove just the base plate and 4 legs, without undoing any of the bits that hold the mounting plate to the rEvo case?

From looking at the installation instructions, it appears that you cannot. It looks like 2 of the legs could only be removed by first removing the mounting plate from the rEvo case.

I was looking at the dsix stand for the micro it does say it weighs less than two pounds. I do like that his design seems less likely to get a rope or whatever entangled in it vs the kent or revo...or at least they look prone to getting caught on something

I was looking at the dsix stand for the micro it does say it weighs less than two pounds. I do like that his design seems less likely to get a rope or whatever entangled in it vs the kent or revo...or at least they look prone to getting caught on something

I have one on my Mini. It is nice. I like that the base is a simple rectangle. It keeps the rEvo stable while standing by having a little bit of backwards tilt to it. All the other ones have the stand base extend wings forward to keep the unit stable, and they need that because the unit is standing straight up and down.

And it goes on and off easily, with 4 attachments. When removed, what's left is bone stock, still with all 4 rubber feet.

I just wish for 2 things with the dsix stand. One, that it only took one tool to take it off and put it on, instead of a hex wrench and 2 socket wrenches. And, two, that the stand broke down to flat pieces to make it more feasible to pack and take when flying.

Coming off the unit and breaking down to flat(-ish) pieces that would pack into the travel case with the rEvo would be ideal. That is why I'm still investigating the KT stand and the new rEvo stand, before I just go ahead and get another dsix stand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom