Looking for stiff, negative fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Marie13

I'm using a MAKO rubber belt with a whole bunch of 2-pounders strung onto it:View attachment 584983

You can see the little gap in the middle, that's to leave space for my crotch strap in the back. So it distributes the weight along my hips, perhaps with a slight bias toward the rear. It works great when I put 8-10 lbs on it to dive wet, but with 20 lbs it's noticeably more saggy when walking around on the surface. Not too bad, but a little annoying.

It very well could be that I am taking more weight than necessary. I got here by taking the ballast I use while diving wet (8mm single piece), and adding 11 lbs. That setup was 2 lbs in the trim pockets, 16 lbs on the belt, 3 lbs ankle weights. Felt OK at the start, but underweighted when my tank got down to 40 or 50%. So I slapped on a few more pounds and ended up at 2 in the pockets, 20 on the belt, which brings me up to +15lbs lead vs wet. With that weighting, I was able to hold my depth even in the 3-4' range with the tank below 1/3.

If the suit is too loose in the legs, then I could see getting a big bubble there, which would contribute both to head-down trim and to needing more lead overall. In that case, maybe a better fix would be having the suit modified to take it in a bit in the legs, or gaiters. Next time I'm out I will pay special attention to my legs, and see if there's a lot of air in there. As for the class, I'm not opposed to it, just kinda thought I would see if I can figure it out by myself, then take a class if I still need help. In the scheme of things, it's not like $150 or $200 or whatever for a class is a big deal.

Did I read that correctly - you were using ankle weights even with your wetsuit? Yes, gaiters/leg wraps would be a much better option than ankle weights.

@Brett Hatch Excuse me but how much do you weigh? Not trying to be rude but it figures in the equation.

Did I read that correctly - you were using ankle weights even with your wetsuit? Yes, gaiters/leg wraps would be a much better option than ankle weights.
No, I must have said that in a weird way, haha. With my wetsuit, I have been diving with a SS plate, HP100 tank, and 10 lbs of lead. Have gone back and forth between 8 on the belt + 2 on the camband, vs 10 on the belt -- both work reasonably well. I never use ankle weights diving wet.

Diving dry, I have tried 2 configurations. The first was 3 lbs on ankles, 2 lbs on camband, and 16 lbs on belt, again with SS plate and HP100. That was a little light at the end, so I added 4 lbs to the belt, which was about right at the end.

@Compressor I'm 5'11" and weigh about 155 - 165 lbs, depending on recent calorie intake / expenditure. I have a slim build with broad shoulders and recently some extra jiggle in the beer gut (thanks, Covid-19!)

No, I must have said that in a weird way, haha. With my wetsuit, I have been diving with a SS plate, HP100 tank, and 10 lbs of lead. Have gone back and forth between 8 on the belt + 2 on the camband, vs 10 on the belt -- both work reasonably well. I never use ankle weights diving wet.

Diving dry, I have tried 2 configurations. The first was 3 lbs on ankles, 2 lbs on camband, and 16 lbs on belt, again with SS plate and HP100. That was a little light at the end, so I added 4 lbs to the belt, which was about right at the end.

@Compressor I'm 5'11" and weigh about 155 - 165 lbs, depending on recent calorie intake / expenditure. I have a slim build with broad shoulders and recently some extra jiggle in the beer gut (thanks, Covid-19!)

3lbs ankles + 2lbs camband + 20lbs belt + 6lbs BP = 31 lbs. You're definitely carrying way too much weight. I need abut 27 lbs total diving dry. I'm 6" shorter than you, but carrying more bioprene (which I'm working on getting rid of).

I like F1's, but it's definitely worth trying out your buddy's before you commit as they're not right for everyone. They are heavy and, some would consider cumbersome especially in XXL. As previously stated, the only colour variations apart from black are the yellow tip option.

quick question; you mentioned earlier that you didn't take a drysuit class yet right? Make sure you have an experienced drysuit diver showing you the tips and tricks, that migth make a big difference. For example, do you know how to get rid off all the excess air in the suit before the dive?
Basically, after putting on the suit but before kitting up, drop on 1 knee, use your hands to carefully open the neckseal a bit and use your elbows to push the suit to your body. This way, you get rid of all air pockets that keep you afloat.
It might make a big difference on how much weight you need.

After that, make sure to do a proper weight check before the dive and another one at the end of the dive. Don't push any limits on those first few dives, rocketing to the surface upside down with all the gas in your legs isnt cool... ;-)

The only fins that are going to tick most of those boxes are Hollis F1's. They're not cheap, and the only color option ever available to my knowledge was yellow tips. No other fin on the market is stiff and dense. Jet Fins are close ish, but they're quite flimsy, especially in the big sizes compared to the F1's

@Brett Hatch This ^^^ has been my experience 100%

I started diving dry last year. I love my D6 fins, but I also love diving dry and they just weren't heavy enough. I bought a pair of used Jets for super cheap, and that fixed the weighting issue, but they felt like pool noodles on my feet. Maybe mine were older and of a less stiff design? I'm not sure. I have read a few people say their Jets were more stiff than the Hollis F1's. That has not been my experience. I bought a used set of F1's, and while they are all black which I'm not in love with (I like orange) they were perfect. To me, they feel like a negative D6. If I was blindfolded I honestly don't think I could tell the difference. Out of the water they feel a little more flimsy than the D6, but in the water identical.

If D6 ever comes out with a negative fin, I'd be thrilled to give them a shot.

SP Jets XXL, Hollis F1's XXL, Deep 6 Eddy's XL

HOqBRdR.jpg

M1T9LGP.jpg

Might want to check out the turtle fins (now made by xs scuba). Similar to jets but the foot pockets are roomier. I found jets squeezed my feet quite a bit when sitting on the surface after a dive.

Also agree you might want to go over proper weighting on your course. Ideally you shouldn't need ankle weights..

Late to the party as usual, but I'm in the Hollis F1 (yellow tip) camp myself. Very stiff, about 3 lbs negative, and for me at least (even though I have yet to dive dry) just an all around great fin. Certainly not inexpensive but if stiff and heavy is what you're looking for, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that fits that bill better. If you want something just a touch lighter but still just as stiff and rigid, the F1 LTs are a few ounces lighter.....and gray. You can sometimes look on Craigslist, etc. and find used pairs for under $100 as opposed to the new price of $160-$180. I know I've found a pair of F1 LT's here locally for $85 a couple weeks ago. I'm just not in need of another pair of fins at the moment.

Another vote for the Hollis F1s. I find they work for me when I'm diving my 8/7 semidry suit. Otherwise, they are too negative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom