When will Coz re-open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the airlines selling disposable masks, just like they used to sell the cheap headphone set to hear the in-flight movie ! Or they'll just hand them out to everyone when you check your bags........and then tack on a $50 surcharge to every ticket, for the "convenience". :mad:

I sure hope you're wrong lol. if this is the case then it sounds like 2020 is a scratch! no bueno!

the spanish flu isnt even a fraction as deadly as covid 19. It pretty much shut down the world for 2 years and large countries like the UK etc were in deep recessions after for 15 to 20 years......and that was with a much weaker flu than covid.

Anyplace can "re-open". (The entire concept of "re-opening" is a gross simplification - used by and for simpletons). Northern Italy or New York City could "re-open" tomorrow. And the graph of deaths would go straight up. But that means nothing to the clowns who were sitting in the back row in math class telling fart jokes because they don't or can't or refuse to understand anything sciencey because it comes from pointy headed intellectuals in the deep state.

Covidiots seem to think that because some places (certainly not Cozumel) have been successful in "flattening the curve" that means it's all over, have a parade, pass around a cigar, whoopie. Flattening the curve (as has been done in Northern Italy and other places) has been accomplished at great sacrifice, and it's a good and necessary first step. But all it means is that the speed with which the virus is currently spreading has slowed. The virus is still there, waiting for fools. We are all still in a very real, very existential crisis. As soon as you stop the social distancing ("open up", for simpletons), then the speed of the infection spread will skyrocket. And then you go back to square one, and you have to stay there (sheltering in your home), with everything closed again, for another extended period maybe a week, a month, 3 months?).

Until there's a safe, effective vaccine (widely available), massive testing, and better understanding of the virus (fer cryin' outloud, we still don't know if having had it and recovered gives you any protection against getting it again!), we are all in an unprecedented crisis - yes, even the deniers, we're all in this together.

Unless you are OK with just giving up, stepping outside, passing around a beer, and shrugging (or denying) the thousands of deaths that will soon result. If you are OK with many thousands of deaths (quite possibly including your own) then be honest about it, and go drink some disinfectant as suggested by stable geniuses.

I would love to see Cozumel and Palau and Bali and Rome and Paris open for tourism again too - as soon as it's safe and responsible to do so. But I don't expect that will be the case this year or much of 2021 either (I'm hoping for Q4 2021 as an optimistic target for the next trip, if all goes well). Yes, I know this is already (and will continue to be) economically devastating to many, many people, especially those who live in places that have become dependent on international tourism. I'm personally suffering greatly from the financial impact of this pandemic, too. And I've lost a loved one to it. So yeah, I get it.

I wish I could book a cheap flight to CZM soon and enjoy some diving, just like everyone else. But I'm enough of a realist to understand why that's not going to happen for a long, long time. Others will figure it out eventually. Well, most will - some will be in denial until they're strapped to a gurney, gasping for breath, and wheeled into an overcrowded hospital and triaged, hoping it doesn't get as bad as things were in Northern Italy so recently.

So sorry you can't go diving for a while. Put on your big boy pants and grow up.

best post ive read on scubaboard in ages

That's a really stupid analogy.

Assuming the blind crew gets the plane in the air, you have about a 90% chance of dying in a fiery crash.

Even if there are 1000 COVID-19 infected patients standing in the immigration line at the Cozumel airport, sneezing in to every new arrival's face, your chances of dying are still under 10%.

ever been on a ventilator for 2 or 3 weeks in a hospital room? Heard about the permanent lung and heart damage to healthy adults that get covid?

this is not a normal flu. this disease is attacking the lungs and heart , and now we are finding out the arteries veins of children in many countries. we thought kids were safe. we thought wrong.

"until we have reached herd immunity either via enough people having had it or a vaccine."
I'm looking ahead.

I dont think you understand what herd immunity means. Herd immunity will NOT protect you from contracting Covid 19. Herd immunity basically protects a population of people in a certain part of the world from becoming extinct.

a population can build up herd immunity and one person walking through a building can still infect everyone inside that has not had the disease.

that is not directed at you btw but at anyone that thinks it will be safer once there is some percentage of herd immunity.

I dont think you understand what herd immunity means. Herd immunity will NOT protect you from contracting Covid 19. Herd immunity basically protects a population of people in a certain part of the world from becoming extinct.

a population can build up herd immunity and one person walking through a building can still infect everyone inside that has not had the disease.

that is not directed at you btw but at anyone that thinks it will be safer once there is some percentage of herd immunity.
You are correct. Do you think we will accomplish something more than "herd immunity"? If so, how? Waiting for a vaccine? An effective vaccine that produces long term antibodies could do it. Can you think of anything else that will help us?

They only add a bit of oxygen to the cabin air you are already breathing.
That's not what I was asking, though not that seriously. If everyone had his own safe air supply there'd be no need for distancing except for during boarding and deplaning.

That's not what I was asking, though not that seriously. If everyone had his own safe air supply there'd be no need for distancing except for during boarding and deplaning.
If you think breathing virus free air is the total solution.

Back
Top Bottom