Tech Shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice! Unfortunately, their site says they are unable to ship Apeks out of EU.... That's a good price though!

I want to find something with similar pockets but with no neoprene, like the Irikonji shorts

I saw that Irikoji or similar re branded ones are also on sale on AliExpress, and everywhere it says it's neoprene.

Form what I know, apeks are 1mm, and the rest of them are 2-3mm shorts.

It would be awesome is someone made a tech shorts which are made from non positive material, so they won't affect buoyancy.
When I was in Bali, I saw some divers using what it looks as cloth board shorts, but made for diving, with big enough pockets.

Maybe something made of nylon or courdura.

I saw that Irikoji or similar re branded ones are also on sale on AliExpress, and everywhere it says it's neoprene.

Form what I know, apeks are 1mm, and the rest of them are 2-3mm shorts.

Agreed, I'm seeing the same thing.... Here is an example of what I was referring to, and it is also 2 or 3mm neoprene...

https://shopee.ph/☀Ready-Stock☀Yons...Pants-Mens-Equipment-L-i.116322527.2050494579

It would be awesome is someone made a tech shorts which are made from non positive material, so they won't affect buoyancy.
When I was in Bali, I saw some divers using what it looks as cloth board shorts, but made for diving, with big enough pockets.

Maybe something made of nylon or courdura.

Exactly! I'm considering making sewing some pockets on a pair of board shorts or on a pair of Jammers that will fit over my wetsuit.... just not sure how long they would last.... Also, I'm thinking board shorts might be just a little too "floppy" to be really comfortable, but I'll give it a go before putting pockets on them.

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there looking for such a solution LOL.

Take the material for wings. The one that covers bladders. Or even better trilaminate materials.
You can add elastic materials to the sides and crotch to allow better moveability (similar to MTB or MX shorts).

Most of the problems I saw is that the pockets are to low on some board shorts. But basically the cargo pockets should be on the same palce as the regular pockets on a regular shorts.

I'm guessing that this would not be feasable for most of manufacturers since it would be cheaper to make them.

Take the material for wings. The one that covers bladders. Or even better trilaminate materials.
You can add elastic materials to the sides and crotch to allow better moveability (similar to MTB or MX shorts).

Most of the problems I saw is that the pockets are to low on some board shorts. But basically the cargo pockets should be on the same palce as the regular pockets on a regular shorts.

I'm guessing that this would not be feasable for most of manufacturers since it would be cheaper to make them.

I like where your head is at on this one.... We're definitely thinking along the same lines... I don't have easy access to the materials here, but could possibly use Cordura, Ripstop Nylon, or a cannibalized duffel bag. I'm thinking the easy option would be to order some glue-on pockets and sew (or glue) them onto a pair of Jammers.

I want to find something with similar pockets but with no neoprene, like the Irikonji shorts

I would think twice about a solution that is anything less than "pretty stretchy". If it's not pretty stretchy, then you'll have to get pretty lucky to end up with a fit that is not too tight nor too loose. And that will work with different stuff on under it. I use my shorts with anything from a 5mm wetsuit to only a Speedo bathing suit on underneath them.

I mentioned this before. The ScubaPro pocket shorts are neoprene, but it is thin neoprene. They work really well and, while they may add a little buoyancy, I have never actually noticed whatever difference they may make.

I also have the DGX/Highlands neoprene shorts. They are much thicker and I really do not like them. That is why I bought the SP shorts. They are something like $85 vs $50 for the DGX shorts, but the SP ones are really good and I think the price is reasonable. Just my opinion, of course.

Plus the DGX shorts have a waist that is a bit low and suboptimal waist-band.

Then I started working for a shop and was able to buy a pair of the ScubaPro pocket shorts at employee cost. I like the SP shorts a lot! They are much thinner neoprene. They seem to stay up pretty well. And they have good pockets.

I ended up using the SP shorts as my only exposure protection on my lower body (other than shoes) when diving in Utila last month. They were great like that, or over a wetsuit.

I'm not sure about some of the others, but I haven't found a solution yet. I messaged the Irikonji folks on FB, we'll see if they ever reply.

But I'm curious, The SP Shorts have the drawstring waist, are you happy with the waist so far? I often hear complains about the other brand drawstring waists, but haven't heard anything on the SP version. I think that's what drives a lot of people towards the Apeks or Mares style shorts, but those obviously come at a significant cost increase. (And in the case of the Apeks shorts, apparently some issues with the actual pocket material not being durable enough)

At this point, I am leaning towards getting a pair of mtn bike shorts (sort of a lighter weight version of motocycle shorts) and gluing/sewing on regular pockets like LM or DR pockets.... But would try to add some sort of a 1/2 inch web and buckle to the leg opening hems to keep in place.

I would think twice about a solution that is anything less than "pretty stretchy". If it's not pretty stretchy, then you'll have to get pretty lucky to end up with a fit that is not too tight nor too loose. And that will work with different stuff on under it. I use my shorts with anything from a 5mm wetsuit to only a Speedo bathing suit on underneath them.

I mentioned this before. The ScubaPro pocket shorts are neoprene, but it is thin neoprene. They work really well and, while they may add a little buoyancy, I have never actually noticed whatever difference they may make.

I also have the DGX/Highlands neoprene shorts. They are much thicker and I really do not like them. That is why I bought the SP shorts. They are something like $85 vs $50 for the DGX shorts, but the SP ones are really good and I think the price is reasonable. Just my opinion, of course.
The problem with the SP shorts is that the pockets are ridiculously small compared to other shorts.

Hi im in the market for tech shorts.

a few years back. somebody mentioned a shorts that's NOT really a diving tech shorts but would be a good option.

The shorts im looking for doesn't need to be neoprene. actually i don't want it to be neoprene. i have enough neoprene already to start floating

Lance...

Assuming the only reason you'd want ''tec shorts'' is to be able to add pockets to a suit that does not have pockets...

Suggesting OMS thigh pockets as an alternative...some don't like these because they think they move around...they will stay put if you take a little time and adjust them properly...

I've used them for years with suits that are not fitted with pockets...I swear by them...they require no additional ballast...which is a plus with no other considerations...

The vertical attachment 2'' webbing is 22'' long allowing for lots of adjustment so you can position them exactly where you want them to ride on your thighs...

Check DGX...in stock all the time...inexpensive

The pockets are 6.5'' X 9.5''...bellows...inner divider...inner 1.75'' ''D'' ring...Velcro flap...with small outer 1.25'' ''D'' ring

I have mine customized with a couple extra 2'' keepers...and outer 2'' S/S ''D'' ring to attach a spool or other piece of equipment...

Dive shorts if you must...in my opinion the ''thigh'' pockets are a much better option...

W...

DSCF1221.JPG

I'm not sure about some of the others, but I haven't found a solution yet. I messaged the Irikonji folks on FB, we'll see if they ever reply.

But I'm curious, The SP Shorts have the drawstring waist, are you happy with the waist so far? I often hear complains about the other brand drawstring waists, but haven't heard anything on the SP version. I think that's what drives a lot of people towards the Apeks or Mares style shorts, but those obviously come at a significant cost increase. (And in the case of the Apeks shorts, apparently some issues with the actual pocket material not being durable enough)

At this point, I am leaning towards getting a pair of mtn bike shorts (sort of a lighter weight version of motocycle shorts) and gluing/sewing on regular pockets like LM or DR pockets.... But would try to add some sort of a 1/2 inch web and buckle to the leg opening hems to keep in place.

I got SP shorts that fit tightly enough on me that the drawstring waist is pretty irrelevant. They stay up, even when I'm just wearing them over a swimsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom