Cayman closed until at least September 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a trip scheduled for August to Little Cayman and got an email from the LDS we were going with, saying it's cancelled/postponed because the government has decided to not allow travel until September 1. Here's a link to the Cayman Compass article that confirms it. Our LDS is offering a full refund or we can use the funds toward a trip in February (which will be roughly the same cost). It's great that we are being offered full refund or reschedule - but of course I'm really bummed - like everyone else, I was so hoping by August we'd be back to something near normal, or at least waiting for the second wave and could sneak in a trip.

The borders were closed until the end of May. They had to make a formal motion to extend that. They did it the other day through August 31st. It may not necessarily reopen on that date and has always been said we don’t expect expect to be open for tourists until perhaps the end of the year and then only if the countries we have flights from have Covid under control. As things stand in the States it may take a while before other countries that have some control feel confident to welcome leisure travelers. No one here ever expected we would have tourists in August. Anyone who has not yet requested a refund of their deposit should do so.

We had a trip scheduled for August to Little Cayman and got an email from the LDS we were going with, saying it's cancelled/postponed because the government has decided to not allow travel until September 1. Here's a link to the Cayman Compass article that confirms it. Our LDS is offering a full refund or we can use the funds toward a trip in February (which will be roughly the same cost). It's great that we are being offered full refund or reschedule - but of course I'm really bummed - like everyone else, I was so hoping by August we'd be back to something near normal, or at least waiting for the second wave and could sneak in a trip.

I would take the refund unless your scheduled LDS has very deep pockets. Unfortunately, I am afraid this Covid-19 problem is not going away any time soon, especially for those of us in the U.S., and that is going to cause a lot of economic distress/failures for dive shops world wide.

K...

It is good that they have taken the lead to do what's ''right''...as opposed to taking a chance and ending up far worse off than they/we are now...

This is just the beginning of updates like this...there are going to be lots more...and some...if not most of us...may not be diving this year at all...

At this point...worrying about which operators will survive COVID-19 and which will not is a moot point...as jumping the gun will do no-one any good...infection/fatality rates world wide are still high...and as far as a vaccine...who knows if and when one will be available...

A lot of us including myself have immediate family members with compromised immune systems...and I for one am not taking any chances on bringing the virus home...

Right now...everything I want to do at home as far as work around the house is backed up...can't get to the hardware store...can't buy paint...can't buy lawn fertilizer...can't get supplies to clean-up the car...right now ''diving'' is way down the list...I bought a new rebreather last year that was delivered in January...still sitting sealed in the box it was shipped in...where it will stay for the foreseeable future...right now I'm more interested in being able to buy a few paint brushes so I can paint my homes exterior trim...

I'd be happier if the rebreather sitting on the love seat in my office was two 4'' paint brushes...and a gallon of stain...

I've been waiting a week for a pickup notice from my local Canadian Tire store for a 24'' breaker bar...and a 13/16'' impact socket...and these two items were both showing ''in stock'' when I placed the order...this is one example as to how slow ''curb side pickup'' is taking during the pandemic...

W...

DSCF1222.JPG

Thanks for the update. Making me a bit more nervous about our trip to Nassau the middle of September.

My guess is that a 14 day quarantine may kill September for you...

You may be correct but I am hoping that they may kill their quarantine requirement by then.

Places that have worked so hard to wipe out or contain the virus within their local population are not going to be quick to throw all that away bringing in others where the disease is still running amok. Even if it isn’t in your exact area, you have to be exposed to people who may not be so lucky during the travel part of your trip. I think looking at what is being put in place at major airports around the world will be helpful. Most island nations do not have big airports but many are international so will be likely to follow those models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom