Atmos Mission One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geo 4.0 has Bluetooth, so no cable needed.
and I believe supported by Subsurface / libdivecomputer

Geo 4.0 has Bluetooth, so no cable needed.

That would make sense, but in order to connect it to a PC I was told by one of the online retailers that a cable is needed. It may be possible to download the dive logs to a smart phone and then copy the files from the phone to the computer and then use one of the dive log programs to either read them or convert them, but that seems awfully complicated especially in this day and age. Now, if BlueTooth had just been invented....

That would make sense, but in order to connect it to a PC I was told by one of the online retailers that a cable is needed. It may be possible to download the dive logs to a smart phone and then copy the files from the phone to the computer and then use one of the dive log programs to either read them or convert them, but that seems awfully complicated especially in this day and age. Now, if BlueTooth had just been invented....

You can probably pair with a BlueTooth card in your PC, if you have one, but you'll also need and application that knows how to decipher their data packets. The cable is for charging and firmware updates ("recommended") and they may or may not have implemented log downloads over it.

Subsurface supports Bluetooth downloads from the desktop, but from what I've read, as of June 2019, downloads aren't as robust as mobile versions of the program. This may have changed since and hopefully someone will chime in to say they've actually used it with the Geo 4.0. As for adding Bluetooth to a desktop, there are cheap Bluetooth dongles (~$10) that connect to a USB port.

You can probably pair with a BlueTooth card in your PC, if you have one, but you'll also need and application that knows how to decipher their data packets. The cable is for charging and firmware updates ("recommended") and they may or may not have implemented log downloads over it.

The product video shows that settings, firmware updates, and logs can be accessed via a mobile app. That's pretty cool.

I use Subsurface mobile to access logs for my Cressi's and Sherwood's. Firmware updates and settings have to be done through a netbook with Windows running in a virtual machine. (Settings, of course, can be changed on the dive computer itself.) What's nice about changing the settings via a mobile app is the ease.

The product video shows that settings, firmware updates, and logs can be accessed via a mobile app. That's pretty cool.

Yes, and The Fine manual recommends using cable for firmware updates. There is a reason for that.

Subsurface supports Bluetooth downloads from the desktop, but from what I've read, as of June 2019, downloads aren't as robust as mobile versions of the program. This may have changed since and hopefully someone will chime in to say they've actually used it with the Geo 4.0. As for adding Bluetooth to a desktop, there are cheap Bluetooth dongles (~$10) that connect to a USB port.
Generally Bluetooth and especially BLE (which is what almost all dive computers use in order to be able to support iOS devices) is far better supported on mobile platforms. This is a statement about OS support - the code in Subsurface and Subsurface-mobile for BT/BLE downloads is 100% identical. In other words, yes, you are more likely to have issues on your Windows desktop than you are on your Android phone.

I have one of those BlueTooth dongles and it works great with headphones but I have not tried it for data transfer and it might take some figuring to determine the correct procedure. When I connect my headphones it's done "blind" IOW there is nothing anywhere with a list of devices to click on--it simple connects to the headphones that are on and within range. It has a Transmit/Receive button and the LED changes color depending upon how it's set. It might actually be very easy, or it may not work at all :wink: I think I'll set it on Receive and see if my file manager sees my phone...

I have one of those BlueTooth dongles and it works great with headphones but I have not tried it for data transfer and it might take some figuring to determine the correct procedure. When I connect my headphones it's done "blind" IOW there is nothing anywhere with a list of devices to click on--it simple connects to the headphones that are on and within range. It has a Transmit/Receive button and the LED changes color depending upon how it's set. It might actually be very easy, or it may not work at all :wink: I think I'll set it on Receive and see if my file manager sees my phone...
Yeah, careful. There are a TON of 'USB Bluetooth LE' dongles out there that actually ONLY support a couple of audio profiles and do not support data transfer AT ALL. As a rule of thumb, anything in the sub $10 range is likely to fall into that group. So read very carefully in the description whether this is just an audio interface or a full BT/BLE device.

Using the price as an indicator I guess I'm lucky this works with headphones :wink: It looks like my phone wants to pair with something but I can't confirm that it's my dongle. OTOH I bought some wireless earbuds and i thought they were really crappy because they kept connecting/disconnecting while I was in a store. It turns out that they were paired with my other phone that was many hundreds of yards away inside my car. I was amazed. They also tend to pair with whatever is on so I always have to make sure everything else if off except the phone I want to use.

Back
Top Bottom