Nitrox - 1.40 or 1.60 PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For most dives in the rec depth/time area 1.4 is a very safe limit. 1.6 I exclusively reserve for deco.

If you do the research you will find that the first 1.6 recommended PP02 came from what the navy test divers did....who dove 2.0 PP02. after a FEW Ox Tox the recommedation was 1.6 to be totally safe.
If you wanted to take all the risk out of diving you would not dive. i agree with Papa bear's earlier post that even at 1.6 PP02 you have a MUCH better chance of an AE on air than Ox Tox on nitrox...and the reported incidents prove that.

Stay home and when you drive never go over 35mph and wear a helmet! 1.4 is so conservative that if you ask all operations will be forced to adopt the lower standard or risk being sued for that one in million who might have a problem. I use 1.6 as an absolute limit and stay with in it...... As with all potentially dangerous activities it should be a personal choice based on risk assessment and benefit for the task!

All the PO2 limits need to be taken in context. If you're doing recreational dives and are not always at 1.4 you *should* be fine based on statistics. However, O2 tolerance varies by person and by the same person on different days. Medications, exertion, physical fitness, CO2 loading, stress, all stack the odds against you. If you're out of shape, taking Sudafed, have a Scopolomine patch on, just finished a cigarette, jump in for your 5th dive of the day, and will have to fight a current back to the boat at the end of the dive then my opinion is you're pushing the limits.

DCS can generally be fixed, but Ox Tox is unforgiving and can come on without notice. If you have a seizure you will probably not survive it!!

...interesting thread.

It amazes me that I'm apparently the only one that plans working bottom gas at 1.2.

All the best, James

I do the same and keep 1.4 as a deco limit. I'd rather water down my back gas and pay the piper at the hang bar.

Dräger Dophin/Atlantis SCR using EANx40. 40 meters/50 minutes. Comments....?:wink:

Probably close to 80% of your CNS clock?

Back
Top Bottom