Steel vs AL—-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go from an HP 100 to an aluminum 80 I drop about 32lbs, also drop the drysuit, hood, drygloves etc. but joking aside you’ll probably take off 4 to 5 lbs.

Thank you. I dove with 6 lbs and it worked out perfectly.

Just as a followup from a prior post I just did the pool thing with my unknown PST 72's. with the valve of choice I put it in a pool and the weight fell off. then it pointed valve down and sank until the boot got 6" underwater and stayed there. Id say that tank and valve combo is neutral when empty. Never have I seen a tank do that before... I even pushed it to the bottom and it came up to 6" from the surface and again stopped there. That one I cant explain.

Just as a followup from a prior post I just did the pool think with my unknown PST 72's. with the valve of choice I put it in a pool and the weight fell off. then it pointed valve down and sank until the boot got 6" underwater and stayed there. Id say that tank and valve combo is neutral when empty. Never have I seen a tank do that before... I even pushed it to the bottom and it came up to 6' from the surface and again stopped there. That one I cant explain.
That’s pretty neutral, all tanks will go valve down when near empty, seems more pronounced with LP tanks.

That’s pretty neutral, all tanks will go valve down when near empty, seems more pronounced with LP tanks.

I knew that valve down thing would happen because of the valve but the buoyancy it exhibited surprised me. Especially to on its own ascend and stablize at 6" again.

I take off 5-8 lbs when I switch from an AL80 to a steel 100. 5lbs is more normal, I chalk the extra amount to maybe being more psychologically comfortable with a steel tank, or having my weighting better dialed in on steel than aluminum since I dive it more often.

I take off 5-8 lbs when I switch from an AL80 to a steel 100. 5lbs is more normal, I chalk the extra amount to maybe being more psychologically comfortable with a steel tank, or having my weighting better dialed in on steel than aluminum since I dive it more often.

When I went from AL80s to steel HP80s (single tank), I took off 4lbs. I take an additional 2lbs off on the odd occasion I dive a HP100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom