Multiple deaths diving off NC coast May 10, 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bad. Thank you for correcting me. It seems like I may have been given some bad info recently.

no worries. The crystal is the same formulation just without the color and fragrance. Key is to rinse them out properly, but regular simple green was the gold standard for years.

NC is the only place I think I have seen real OOAs in the wild and I have seen more than one. Warm water, good viz coupled with relative depth for recreational profiles then throw in bug hunting or spearfishing and it makes for a perfect scenario for someone getting distracted and losing the anchor line or running out of gas.

That's what I was beginning to wonder.

no worries. The crystal is the same formulation just without the color and fragrance. Key is to rinse them out properly, but regular simple green was the gold standard for years.
+1 - been using the regular for years.

Warm water, good viz coupled with relative depth for recreational profiles then throw in bug hunting or spearfishing and it makes for a perfect scenario for someone getting distracted and losing the anchor line or running out of gas.

It doesn't even have to be that complicated.

I was diving in NC once with a woman who had more dives than I did, but hers were pretty much all warm water, Caribbean dives. She had bragged to me in advance that her SAC was so good that she never got low on gas on dives. Everyone else would get low and have to go up and she would eventually come up last, with her DM.

I put her in a steel 100, but I was using a steel 120.

She ran out of gas during our safety stop on our very first dive. This was back before I even considered going down the DM/Instructor route, so I was not so conscious then of checking my buddy's gas supply.

She had not been even looking at her pressure gauge because she was so used to always having lots of gas left at the end of a dive. She just assumed I would get low and have to surface before her.

I'm not suggesting that is what happened in this case. I'm just saying that someone can go OOA for a lot simpler reasons than "distracted by hunting". It could be as simple as being a little narced and just not paying attention/losing track of time.

In this case, it would be really easy to speculate on how they might have both run out of gas. But, I don't think that's appropriate at this point. Recognizing that the simplest, feasible explanation is that they ran out of gas and leaving it at that until an investigation can gather and assess all the available data seems like the best, most respectful course, to me.

... Any thoughts on what and where the film was and came from?
The hydro tester does thousands of fire extinquisher tests and just a couple of handfuls of scuba tank tests. They don't change and clean the water out of the pressure vessel and was probably the source. It's up to the shop to clean the tanks after hydro. It's important to note that CO can come from partially burnt oil not a fresh oil slick/film so that's why my CO tester read zero point zero. I am at fault for not looking inside my own tanks to inspect them prior to the fill after the hydro (Xmas Tree white lights are cheap). A lawyer can argue a provider was dead wrong and I was dead right, but I'm the one still dead in the end. Keep reading the accidents threads, like @Sam Miller III said,,,," You can learn alot from dead people "

Also my post has no speculation to the NC accident, it is just a reply to @Marie13 question on "how long it takes".

This report is troubling to me, I'm hoping we hear more about it.

The Schurz is said to have a diving depth of 95-110 feet. The NDL for 30% at a GF high of 95 is 43 min at 80 ft, 33 min at 90 ft, 26 min at 100 ft, and 21 min at 110 ft. Multiple deaths diving off NC coast May 10, 2020? When were the divers expected up?

I find it difficult to understand how two divers could go OOA without either one checking their gas, especially that far into a relatively deep dive.

This report is troubling to me, I'm hoping we hear more about it.

The Schurz is said to have a diving depth of 95-110 feet. The NDL for 30% at a GF high of 95 is 43 min at 80 ft, 33 min at 90 ft, 26 min at 100 ft, and 21 min at 110 ft. Multiple deaths diving off NC coast May 10, 2020?

I find it difficult to understand how two divers could go OOA without either one checking their gas, especially that far into a relatively deep dive.

My only thought, knowing nothing of either Diver other than married couple, is that one had an emergency and the other was drawn into the emergency and they both died.

Rouse's in 1992? Extreme case, yes.

One thing from any and all rescue and emergency management training has been to never put yourself in a life threatening situation to save someone. But when emotions race and it is the love of your life dying, what are you going to do?

It doesn't even have to be that complicated.

I was diving in NC once with a woman who had more dives than I did, but hers were pretty much all warm water, Caribbean dives. She had bragged to me in advance that her SAC was so good that she never got low on gas on dives. Everyone else would get low and have to go up and she would eventually come up last, with her DM.

I put her in a steel 100, but I was using a steel 120.

She ran out of gas during our safety stop on our very first dive. This was back before I even considered going down the DM/Instructor route, so I was not so conscious then of checking my buddy's gas supply.

She had not been even looking at her pressure gauge because she was so used to always having lots of gas left at the end of a dive. She just assumed I would get low and have to surface before her.

I'm not suggesting that is what happened in this case. I'm just saying that someone can go OOA for a lot simpler reasons than "distracted by hunting". It could be as simple as being a little narced and just not paying attention/losing track of time.

In this case, it would be really easy to speculate on how they might have both run out of gas. But, I don't think that's appropriate at this point. Recognizing that the simplest, feasible explanation is that they ran out of gas and leaving it at that until an investigation can gather and assess all the available data seems like the best, most respectful course, to me.
Agreed. I think NC shares that problem with FL. It can be "Caribbean-like", but it isn't the Caribbean. :)

It is easy enough to visualize. At that depth one or both could be narked. One has a problem. The other tries to help and runs out of gas. I know that at 100ft I have to keep reminding myself to check the gas level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom