• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, that's my issue with the Perdix... it sits "below" my ring. I need to push it well up my arm. The Petral is above the cuff ring. I can't see a Teric working but apparently some are using them successfully. I'd love one for south though. I generally just dive in a vest, and my Petral does kind of wobble around on my bare arm.

I wear my Perdix about halfway up my forearm. I found that when it was closer to my rings, the button on the left would sometimes get activated by the cuff and turn on the compass. I solved that problem for good by wearing my backup Geo 2.0 closest to the ring and then Perdix next to it.

Yup, that's my issue with the Perdix... it sits "below" my ring. I need to push it well up my arm. The Petral is above the cuff ring. I can't see a Teric working but apparently some are using them successfully. I'd love one for south though. I generally just dive in a vest, and my Petral does kind of wobble around on my bare arm.

I'm not sure what issues y'all are having. This is me with a Teric (and Kubi dry glove rings) last weekend. After a dive. Teric is still right where it was when I put it on. Admittedly, when I ordered this drysuit, I did get it with the little tabs (as you can see on my left wrist) that watch straps go through, to keep them from being able to slide around.

I don't have a picture, but my neoprene drysuit has no dry glove rings and the Teric works just the same on it.

Also, when I wear 2 computers, I wear one on each arm, so I can see my depth, etc., on one of them, even if the other arm is busy and the computer on that arm is at the wrong angle or something.

2020-04-25 12.30.17.jpg

I'm not having issues, since I don't have one. However, I have trouble accessing the buttons on my Perdix, so I'm speculating. My cuffs are higher profile than yours I see. Anyway, glad it works for you!

I did recent dives with my Teric and had a Perdix as my backup. Both fantastic computers but I much prefer the Teric screen. I find it easier to read, brighter and the size of the buttons was never an issue.

The problem I see is that there is no SAFT in AAA size.

@stuartv You say that as if it's common knowledge that the SAFT batteries are the new industry standard. I somehow missed all that but I chose them for my "vintage" dive computers. This is, of course, another thread but I just wanted to hear what you have to say about them before searching for an old thread or starting a new one. :)

@stuartv You say that as if it's common knowledge that the SAFT batteries are the new industry standard. I somehow missed all that but I chose them for my "vintage" dive computers. This is, of course, another thread but I just wanted to hear what you have to say about them before searching for an old thread or starting a new one. :)

Sorry. That isn't really what I meant.

SAFT batteries are the only battery you can use in the older Shearwater computers, like the Predator. Using a 1.5V AA alkaline was a feature added when they came out with the Petrel, I think. So, definitely not new.

Really, I was just using SAFT battery as a shorthand way of saying a battery of the right size that has 3.6V.

To make a computer that runs off 1 x AAA sized battery means you're starting off with a lot smaller battery than what is in a Perdix. If it's an alkaline, it will be 1.5V, and the overall energy available in a 1.5V battery that is that small would not run a Perdix for very long. At least, I think it would not be considered "long enough". So, to build a "smaller Perdix" that runs off 1 x AAA-sized battery, it would really (in my opinion) have to have a SAFT battery - i.e. my shorthand way of saying a battery the size of a AAA, but with 3.6V.

And even that my just be showing my butt. Maybe there is tech out there to make a AAA battery with 1.5V and still have total energy comparable what one would expect from a AAA-sized 3.7V SAFT.

So, let me back up and re-state what I meant in what I hope is a more accurate way.

An Energizer AA battery has about 4.2W-Hr of energy. A SAFT AA (LS14500) has about 8.6W-Hr. That's why a Perdix runs so much longer on a SAFT.

An Energizer AAA battery has about 1.8W-Hr of energy. As you can see, the smaller size results in less than 1/2 of the total energy available. 43%, actually.

If you build a Perdix that runs on a AAA-sized battery, as you assume 30 hours run-time on an alkaline AA, then you'd be looking at 12 hours or so on an alkaline AAA. Less if you're running max brightness and AI. I don't think that is long enough to be feasible, really.

That said, maybe if you shrank the electronics enough, it could be substantially thinner and smaller and work with 2 AAA alkaline batteries. Especially if they could source an OLED screen for it, yielding a decent reduction in power consumption at the same time.

If you had 43% of the capacity of an AA SAFT, you'd still have 3.7W-Hr, which means it could run almost as long as a Perdix with an alkaline AA.

But, since a AAA-sized SAFT - or some equivalent that contains a similar energy density - does not exist (that I know of), that is why I don't think a smaller, thinner Perdix, with a AAA-sized battery is feasible.

Stuart,
You are most likely correct in the present limitations of AAA battery technology. I don't know if the lack of a Saft AAA is a marketing consideration or a chemical one. My dream of a AAA sized Perdix is just that... a dream.
As far as Alkaline cells go, I have ruined more electronic devices through leaking goop from Alkaline cells than I care to think about. I have pretty much switched over to Ni-MH rechargables for everything outside of my Perdix.

Sorry. That isn't really what I meant.
SAFT batteries are the only battery you can use in the older Shearwater computers, .

So far I have not seen a consensus on which brand of batteries and considered the best replacement for such computers as the old Aladin Pro. I have read that some people have had their computer die during a dive when it said the battery was still at 40% before the dive. I chose SAFT based upon "this looks like it might be better than the other choices" kind of decision.

So far I have not seen a consensus on which brand of batteries and considered the best replacement for such computers as the old Aladin Pro. I have read that some people have had their computer die during a dive when it said the battery was still at 40% before the dive. I chose SAFT based upon "this looks like it might be better than the other choices" kind of decision.

I've never had my Perdix dive on a dive with battery even at 20%

Back
Top Bottom