Southwest cancelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid you're not facing or paying attention to the reality of what has been going on in real time if you're still relying on something published a month ago. I don't think any of us need something published to the contrary to doubt that what was predicted a month ago still holds true. The only thing we can count on day to day right now is uncertainty. But if your magic 8 ball knows something the rest of us don't, go ahead and book your trip if you're willing to take the risk.

Oh BTW - and FWIW - we (operators) are in discussions daily through our chat group and have representatives meeting with local authorities regularly. NONE of us believe we will be operating by June 1 nor do any of us believe tourism will be reopen by June 1- in fact many of us believe it's too soon! Remember, the island is several weeks behind the US on this whole thing
The QRoo tourism council announcement is from 12 days ago. The announcement of QRoo entering the decline phase is from yesterday.

Christi, I believe the ban on tourist visas is a federal decision from Mexico city but isn't the port closures throughout mexico also a federal decision? The reason I ask is that if so then any local, state or business groups decision are only advisory and it looks Mexico city is in pretty bad shape right now. Unfortunately (I want to dive NOW) I am also beginning to think, based on the news, that the opening date is slipping

The Tourism Promotion Council is not a government agency and does not control the situation. It is an advocacy and marketing organization. It is advocating a position and being optimistic. There is no reason for those in real authority to make any statements countering the Council.

I would love to be able to take a nice summer vacation to Cozumel. My wife and I were just talking about it this morning. But, unfortunately, it does not seem very likely.

Believe me, I am dealing with people who are in contact with the Mexican government on COVID-19 issues. The government currently is not moving quickly to reopen. Is a big change possible? Sure, it's possible. Likely? Probably not

Christi, I believe the ban on tourist visas is a federal decision from Mexico city but isn't the port closures throughout mexico also a federal decision? The reason I ask is that if so then any local, state or business groups decision are only advisory and it looks Mexico city is in pretty bad shape right now. Unfortunately (I want to dive NOW) I am also beginning to think, based on the news, that the opening date is slipping
The directive to close the ports came from the Navy to the Port Captains, so that's federal (an image of the directive is floating around on the boards somewhere). In theory, tourism could resume without the ports being open if people just want to sit on the beach.

The tourist visas are interesting. My understanding is the same as yours - that's a part of the federal directive banning all except "essential" travel. But I've heard from several people flying into Cancun that the airlines haven't been asking for proof of citizenship or residency. They were, in fact, residents, so I don't know what immigration would have done if they wanted entrance as tourists, but I would have thought the airline would have made certain that they would be able to enter the country. Weird.

We will continue to agree to disagree.

As I've said before, I think it highly unlikely that sometime within the next 3 weeks, the QRoo government or Coz mayor is going to announce "We know you have been stuck inside your homes for 10 weeks without work or any actual recreation. We know you are poor, hungry and angry. Yes, we promised you would return to work on June 1st, but we need you to stay inside for another 30 days or whenever we deem it safe. Yes, we realize other parts of QRoo and Mexico are returning to work on June 1st. Just not you guys. Please stay inside and don't riot."

So it seems a lot of you are betting the above will happen. We'll find out over the next 3 weeks.

You mean like this?

The government of Quintana Roo has quashed the hopes of optimistic Quintana Roo hotels that expected to reopen on June 1.

Tourism Minister Marisol Vanegas Pérez burst a few bubbles when she said that “it’s not true that they’ll be able to reopen, since the companies themselves don’t determine that, nor the market. It will be the federal and state governments.”

She added that the only hotels that should be open for the foreseeable future are those providing service for people carrying out activities deemed essential during the coronavirus pandemic.

Quintana Roo government rejects June 1 reopening by hotels

You mean like this?

The government of Quintana Roo has quashed the hopes of optimistic Quintana Roo hotels that expected to reopen on June 1.

Tourism Minister Marisol Vanegas Pérez burst a few bubbles when she said that “it’s not true that they’ll be able to reopen, since the companies themselves don’t determine that, nor the market. It will be the federal and state governments.”

She added that the only hotels that should be open for the foreseeable future are those providing service for people carrying out activities deemed essential during the coronavirus pandemic.

Quintana Roo government rejects June 1 reopening by hotels
Are you trying to quote me? I said people would begin returning to work on June 1st. Why don't you find me a quote where I said all the hotels will re-open on June 1st.

I'll wait.

Are you trying to quote me? I said people would begin returning to work on June 1st. Why don't you find me a quote where I said all the hotels will re-open on June 1st.

I'll wait.

Not any particular quote, just your persistence in disagreeing with everyone else who thinks tourism isn't going to resume June 1. Some people are already working and have been working all along so a statement like "begin returning to work" is vague and meaningless.

Not any particular quote, just your persistence in disagreeing with everyone else who thinks tourism isn't going to resume June 1. Some people are already working and have been working all along so a statement like "begin returning to work" is vague and meaningless.
Really? You should let the Mexican government know, since they've announced it twice in the last month.

En esto consiste el Plan de la Nueva Normalidad de México

"The new normal plan has three stages, one that begins on May 18, the second, which is a preparation stage, and the third, which is precisely on June 1 when the national Sana Distancia day ends," he explained in a morning conference. accompanied by the President of Mexico.

june-1.jpg

Not any particular quote,
Then don't quote me

Back
Top Bottom