Initial tec decompression diving/trimix course – advertised vs. actual duration

Did you pass your initial decompressing diving training course in the agency advertised minimal time

• I was certified in less time than the agency required based on experience or agency cross-over

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I took an initial tec decompression training course and passed within the agencies minimum recommend

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • I passed eventually but needed remedial training with additional dives our course days before I was

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I failed to get certified at the end of my initial tec diving/trimix course

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I checked "I took an initial tec decompression training course and passed within the agencies minimum recommend" but it's not entirely true. I first took an intro course, then spent a few years working on skills during recreational dives. At that point I came into my first decompression course with nearly all the skills needed.

I checked "I took an initial tec decompression training course and passed within the agencies minimum recommend" but it's not entirely true. I first took an intro course, then spent a few years working on skills during recreational dives. At that point I came into my first decompression course with nearly all the skills needed.
I am calling BS on this. He came into the first decompression skills class with ALL the skills he needed.

I took the class locally, spread out over several months and was glad I did.

I'd hadn't planned to go tec but I signed up for a trip and was strongly encouraged after the fact to be tec. I ordered some new gear, bigger tanks, etc. With all the changes it took while to get everything tuned right. I think sidemount is harder to get trimmed than backmount, at least for me. Our class dives were also short due water temp of ~40F. I finally spent a day diving solo (in a warmer shallow lake) taking my time getting everything set comfortably. We also had an extra day in the lake when the dive charter weathered cancelled. I checked the box that I needed extra dives, even though it was technically a solo dive outside class and extra class dive was optional.

If you're ready to go with your full tec kit you can probably pass in minimum time. I would not have passed if I'd tried an accelerated class with untested gear.

Sam

I tend towards the practical. If the local TDI instructor is a good fit for you, gets good reviews, and otherwise ticks all the boxes, I would go that route. But that’s just me.

I did Intro to Tech and Helitrox with NAUI that included AN/DP. That took a couple of months and as I recall, about 15 dives. There was no minimum we could do. That was just the schedule and it included several pool sessions, two trips to a smaller lake with 110 max depth, then 4 days over a couple weekends in Lake Erie.
My TDI AN/DP/Adv Wreck Instructor course was a solid week with the IT. Some days starting at 7am and going until 8 at night with dives and dinner breaks. Breakfast and lunches were spent doing classroom.
I didn't get my Helitrox Instructor rating because there just isn't the demand for it in my area and He is more than many people want to spend as well as being harder to get fills.
The Osprey in Erie will do trimix fills and we have a few hundred cubic feet at the shop, but that's more of the owner and me for fun dives when really necessary. When that's gone, I don't know if we'll bother to get more. I'm getting more conservative in my profiles and I'm not as motivated to do the dives that require mix as much as I get older.

jim those times are what I remember too going into tech and getting my instructor rating.....I get a kick out of people asking why cant I do adv/dp in 2 weekends ?

For ISE, UTD or GUE Tec 1 – apart from passing fundies or the equivalent I would need to travel outside of the country whenever that becomes possible again.

UTD is not a growing agency
ISE maybe, they are fairly local
GUE also potentially local
Local = within a days driving distance, bring your own tanks and gear in the car.

If you dont have local buddies who are trained or willing to train with you though, these won't work. In fact if you dont have a buddy I would work on having someone regular you diving with recreationally instead of aspiring to do 50m dives with basically strangers.

It depends on the student and their comfort level/familiarity with managing doubles/sidemount, ability to remain neutrally buoyant and in trim, etc. Two years ago I started making intro to tech a pre-req and the pass rate on AN/DP went up.

Consider this, a AN/DP course that spans 8-10 days with 10-15 dives is basically Intro to Tech and AN/DP combined. This isn't a bad option.

I am calling BS on this. He came into the first decompression skills class with ALL the skills he needed.

Ok, but where was I when I took your intro course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom