Nitrox - 1.40 or 1.60 PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new nitrox diver and having recently made the transition, I was questioned by a friend about what PO2 I was using in my computer. He told me that he was using 1.60 and that I should too.

During my nitrox class, I was taught that the most common P02 was 1.40 and this is what I use.

So the question is this - What PO2 do you use when diving nitrox?

Thanks!

:popcorn:

As small as practical.

I know a person who used to dive on PO2=1.6 a lot (rebreathers involved) and now he does not dive anymore because his lungs are wasted. Oxygen does burn things.

1.6 is regularly used in mandatory decompression stop diving as the highest P02 allowed. It is bad for you, but so is decompression sickness... 1.4 is a common limit but 1.2 would be safer. Rebreather divers are probably using the latter because their dives tend to be longer.

For a scuba diver 1.4 is a sensible limit for longer exposures, and 1.6 for short exposure.

Discussion should not be bount to time.
Free the words!
:D

If I find some texts by Aristotle relevant, I may very well consider some "old" Scubaboard discussions to be relevant. I may not be the one responsible for reviving it but I can enjoy it :D

I'm a new nitrox diver and having recently made the transition, I was questioned by a friend about what PO2 I was using in my computer. He told me that he was using 1.60 and that I should too.

I've heard people advise that computers should be set to 1.6 instead of 1.4 because then the computer "lets you go deeper."

It's useful advice, because it tells you that you shouldn't be listening to anything that person wants to tell you about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom