Quiz - Physics - Approximate Time A Tank of Air Lasts

If it takes a diver 90 minutes to breathe all the air from a scuba tank at the surface, ...

• a. 22.5 minutes

• b. 20 minutes

• c. 30 minutes

• d. 37.5 minutes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Physics Section of the PADI Dive Theory Exam:

If it takes a diver 90 minutes to breathe all the air from a scuba tank at the surface, approximately how long will the air in that tank last at 30m/99ft?

a. 22.5 minutes

b. 20 minutes

c. 30 minutes

d. 37.5 minutes

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

FSW or FFW? The answers all lend themselves to FSW but with Fresh water the answer is 23 min.

Legal disclaimer: My choosing the correct answer should not be construed as an endorsement of breathing all the air from one's tank at 30m/99ft.

Quit ruining all our fun. A CSA from 30m/99ft is a fun experience which is how one obtains good judgement.

FSW or FFW? The answers all lend themselves to FSW but with Fresh water the answer is 23 min.

I think Pedro is covered by the "approximately" in the question and by the absence of another answer that would be more accurate even if a test taker were to assume the question posited a scenario involving the 1% or so of the world's water that is both fresh and not frozen.

Quit ruining all our fun. A CSA from 30m/99ft is a fun experience which is how one obtains good judgement.

Sort of like CrossFit: The few customers whose bodies don't get busted up can achieve excellent fitness levels. If you survive that 100-foot CESA, you'll develop some awesome judgment.

fresh water salt water it is a theory question that has so much relevance in future training.

I think Pedro is covered by the "approximately" in the question and by the absence of another answer that would be more accurate even if a test taker were to assume the question posited a scenario involving the 1% or so of the world's water that is both fresh and not frozen.
i'm not dinging Pedro, I love what he is doing. The real benefit of these quizzes is not the question but the conversations that happen as a result of them. My comment was meant to stir discussion.

How do you arrive at the 23 min? I can find a similar number -- slightly larger -- by multiplying the FSW answer by 1.03, since salt water is 3% denser than sweet water. However, intuitively that does not strike me as correct. I would expect the pressure difference to increase with depth, rather than remaining flat at 3%. Ie to answer this correctly we would need an expression that captures the diverging pressure as a function of the depth. Something like 1.03 ^ depth. Am I off base here, or onto something?

How do you arrive at the 23 min? I can find a similar number -- slightly larger -- by multiplying the FSW answer by 1.03, since salt water is 3% denser than sweet water. However, intuitively that does not strike me as correct. I would expect the pressure difference to increase with depth, rather than remaining flat at 3%. Ie to answer this correctly we would need an expression that captures the diverging density as a function of the depth. Something like 1.03 ^ depth. Am I off base here, or onto something?

In fresh water, each 34 feet adds one atmosphere of pressure:

99 ft / 34 ft = 2.91 gauge or 3.91 atm

90 minutes @ 1 atm = 23.02 minutes @ 3.91 atm

How do you arrive at the 23 min? I can find a similar number -- slightly larger -- by multiplying the FSW answer by 1.03, since salt water is 3% denser than sweet water. However, intuitively that does not strike me as correct. I would expect the pressure difference to increase with depth, rather than remaining flat at 3%. Ie to answer this correctly we would need an expression that captures the diverging pressure as a function of the depth. Something like 1.03 ^ depth. Am I off base here, or onto something?
The 3% takes care of that. 3% of a big depth is more than 3% of a small depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom