Hello from San Antonio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Secondly, I know you said you wanted to wait until your son is old enough and experienced enough to go on his own dive adventures, but honestly it's in everyone's best interest for him to have his own computer and not rely on yours or your husband's during a dive. At the very least, he needs some sort of bottom timer, which could just be a wrist watch if nothing else, But having him rely on anyone else's computer/bottom timer other than his own is quite honestly a bad idea. His air consumption rate is going to be next to nothing compared to you and your husband's but even still, he really needs a way to track his own bottom time, etc. There is always the option of renting a computer for him when he dives; the only issue with that is it may not always been the same type of computer or even the same algorithm, which will leave some inconsistencies. And while it's not necessarily a bad thing, having to learn a new computer every time you want to dive is just a pain in the ....well...you know what I'm getting at.

This is actually the thing that I am most concerned about. I understand the need for everyone to have their own computer and it does bother me to not have one for him. I was definitely going to make sure he at least a bottom timer. Who knows, I may yet convince my husband to get him one too. Thank you for the advise. You are all so kind!

This is actually the thing that I am most concerned about. I understand the need for everyone to have their own computer and it does bother me to not have one for him. I was definitely going to make sure he at least a bottom timer. Who knows, I may yet convince my husband to get him one too. Thank you for the advise. You are all so kind!

Like I said, my son is 10 and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable without him having adequate gear to make him self sufficient, even though he'll always be diving with me. A bottom timer is even still okay, but the three of you will really need to have a good understanding of how to use dive tables. I'm not sure all are at this point, but I know some agencies are requiring students complete their OW course with dive computers. They still teach tables but not as stringently as in years past. Like I said, you can rent him a computer when he wants to dive until you figure out what he wants/needs. If nothing else, you could always try searching Craigslist for a lightly used one to save you a little money. I know buying dive gear for one person is quite costly, let alone three people. I'm in the process of doing that for my son right now.

I am going to take a contrarian view on the immediate need for your son to have his own computer at this stage of his dive training and experience. Of course, if money is not a consideration, there is nothing wrong with him having his own computer. However, I would be inclined to wait on the purchase of a computer (even inexpensive ones are not cheap) until finished with the Jr. OW training program, and you see how much he likes diving and how much diving you are actually going to be doing. Also, your son is going to be restricted to 60' depth until he is 15 years old, and your dive time is going to be limited by either your, or more likely your husband"s air consumption rate. Unless you start diving more than a two tank dive, and if you use your dive tables for your son, he should be fine without a computer for the time being. My wife and I started diving with our grandson when he was 11, and we were absolutely fine without a computer for him. You can go on almost any dive boat in the Caribbean when you are on vacation, and find very few divers have a computer for the standard two tank dive you are likely to encounter. Most rental gear does not come with a computer unless you request one.

P.S. I forgot to ask what dive op you are using for you OW/Jr.OW training, and welcome to the neighborhood?

P.S. I forgot to ask what dive op you are using for you OW/Jr.OW training, and welcome to the neighborhood?
We are working with Dive World-Thousand Oaks. I fell in love with their friendly staff and willingness to help us with all of our questions.

They are good people. You will be happy with their training program and staff. Have fun.

First welcome to the rabbit hole, careful not to go to far especially since there are three of you.

Second I will reinforce that each diver needs there own way to track depth and time. A bottom timer or depth gauge, watch combination will work but then he will have shorter NDL then you and your husband especially if your doing more than one dive a day.

Just a couple thoughts on computers. One button operation might seem easier but in my experience the more buttons the easier they are to operate, the one button ones make you long press at points and if you miss that point you have to cycle back through menus. Usually in Rec diving unless you are diving nitrox you don't really need to be using buttons that much anyway. One thing a computer will do for a new diver is help with their accent rate by setting off an alarm if their accent is too fast.

Back
Top Bottom