Buying a used Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you test and make sure it's not leaking?

Close off the wrist and neck seals ( Jars, ball ), and inflate it all the way and spray it with soapy water

I looked at today and it looks good. The zipper and seals are new--he showed me the invoice. The seals weren't even cut yet, so I could only pull up the bottom half to my chest. The seals are glued, not zip seals.

Theres no frayed areas and the seams look good.

Yea or nay?
Sounds like you were not able to get the suit all the way on, is that correct? I'm new to dry suit diving, but have gathered that a good fit is above all else the most important criterion -- age, type, brand, price, etc all come after fit. Were you able to verify that the fit is good? Or if nothing else, is the former owner pretty close to your size? If you couldn't reasonably swap outfits with them (as a thought experiment!), then I would be skeptical about a good fit.

Sounds like you were not able to get the suit all the way on, is that correct? I'm new to dry suit diving, but have gathered that a good fit is above all else the most important criterion -- age, type, brand, price, etc all come after fit. Were you able to verify that the fit is good? Or if nothing else, is the former owner pretty close to your size? If you couldn't reasonably swap outfits with them (as a thought experiment!), then I would be skeptical about a good fit.

The wrist and neck seals were new and uncut, so I wasn't able to put it on all the way. The bottom half fit me well and the arms length us good.

The seller is roughly my thickness, but I'm a few inches taller. According to the DUI size charts, the size should work for me.

Again, the glue on the seams all seem good and I didn't spot any fraying. The seals and zipper were done by DUI.

I appreciate all the responses, BTW.

if it has the telescoping torso, that does give a bit of wiggle room on height. if you think the fit will be good, with the amount of work that has been put in, the price asked is reasonable.

@maxmanta I would suggest attempting to get the suit over your head and on to your shoulders at least. If the person you are buying from is shorter (with a custom fit suit), it would be a tough call attempting to rely on the telescoping portion of the suit to compensate for your height. That could have a direct correlation to the remaining length left in your arms. You should also consider that the “give” of excess material length in the torso of the suit will be a factor when reaching above your head from a supine position, potentially limiting your reach to manipulate an entanglement or a valve on your first stage regulator.

I slipped into a membrane suit I got for free recently, legs and waist were fine took two people to get me out

a very ugly experience

I am not opposed to used drysuits at all, both of mine were used. But for $800, I would order a Seaskin Nova, I believe.

DW

@maxmanta I would suggest attempting to get the suit over your head and on to your shoulders at least. If the person you are buying from is shorter (with a custom fit suit), it would be a tough call attempting to rely on the telescoping portion of the suit to compensate for your height. That could have a direct correlation to the remaining length left in your arms. You should also consider that the “give” of excess material length in the torso of the suit will be a factor when reaching above your head from a supine position, potentially limiting your reach to manipulate an entanglement or a valve on your first stage regulator.
I was able to stick my head in the neck area, but couldn't pull it down over me.

When I did that the zippers came together and we could have closed them.

I'm going to speak with him again and ask him if it is an off the rack size or if it was fitted to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom