New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@AJ Are you worried about a runaway scooter that is not clipped off to anything, so it just takes off into the blue? Or are you worried about a runaway scooter that is clipped off to you, so it drags you up or down or whatever, that you don't want to go?

Of the two, it's hard for me to imagine a BlackTip getting a double tap on the trigger to start it when it's not clipped to you. I.e. if it's just sitting on the bottom or clipped off to something stationary, it's hard to imagine it running away, since it requires a well-timed double tap of the trigger to start it.

If it IS actually clipped to you somewhere, then I could the see possibility of maybe bumping the trigger just right to start it. But, in order to really run away, you would have to bump it just right AND hold it down. That seems extremely unlikely. You could argue that the trigger might stick. But, really? Accidentally double-tap it just right and have it stick on the second tap? That also seems pretty unlikely.

But, I am a total scooter newb, so if there really is a concern here, I hope someone will enlighten me!

The gavin used a metal pin (like a large cotter pin) inserted in the trigger to prevent it from turning on. The only time they were 'off' was when the scooter was opened and battery disconnected. My first Dive-X had a trigger lock. My P1 has a nylon screw that you turn to prevent the trigger from being engaged. Like many scooters, the P1 is "on" until you remove the cover and unplug the batteries.

"Off" underwater simply means "prevented from turning on by accident".

A lot of the accidental trigger activations with a scooter are the tow line catching the trigger. It can happen much easier than most would suspect, regardless of whether or not you are attached to the scooter.

AJ:
The Suex XJ14 I borrowed for the course could be switched off during the dive. The Suex XK1's from my fellow teammates and instructor also. My instructor stressed the importance off turning the machine physically off when not in use. This to prevent a runaway scooter. Don't know if other instructors do teach differently? Better find out on forehand before buying.

For me, it's something that makes me hesitant buying an BlackTip. Not saying the BlackTip is not a good scooter, but it's missing some features that are important to me.

I've used Suex scooters numerous times for underwater cleanups (abandoned traps and ghost net), a Subgravity Ecos S a few times, and my Blacktip once. The Suex is turned on/off with a switch you turn, and speed controlled with a separate turn switch. Both are a pain to operate with thicker gloves. The Subgravity has 2 knobs, one for on/off and another for speed control. One one cleanup I managed to snap off the on/off switch, either from hitting a rock near a trap I was working on or from just turning it too hard. Fortunately it was on at the time, so I was able to get back to the boat. It was impossible to turn on or off without the knob. Both the Suex and Subgravity have penetration points for the on/off and speed controls. The Blacktip startup and speed changes is controlled by the finger throttle, which eliminates the penetration points in the scooter body, and makes it much easier to change speed underwater with just your throttle finger. The way the Blacktip throttle is set up, it's very difficult for it to accidentally turn on underwater, and virtually impossible to turn on when handing up to someone on the boat

The default Blacktip configuration is with safe start on, i.e, it will only run at speed when it senses water. So on dry land the prop just spins very slowly. If you want to live dangerously, you can turn that setting off with the free software and a USB extension cable so it can run through the speeds

A lot of the accidental trigger activations with a scooter are the tow line catching the trigger. It can happen much easier than most would suspect, regardless of whether or not you are attached to the scooter.

I can totally see that - but not with a BlackTip.

If I turn off SS on my BlackTip, will the prop start up instantly when I double-tap the trigger?

At this point, that and the trim are the only complaints I have. When I double-tap the trigger now (with SS on), it really does seem like it takes way too long to actually start pulling. I've got 11 dives on mine now and it still happens pretty often that I double-tap, it doesn't start, I think I didn't do it right and I let go of the trigger to double-tap against at the same instant I realize it has just started to come on.

It also SEEMS like the startup delay was slightly worse after I upgraded firmware from 1.7.1 to 1.12, and now it seems slightly worse than that with 1.15. However, I will freely admit that it could be exactly the same between all 3 and it is just my imagination there.

I can totally see that - but not with a BlackTip.
Probably less likely. I know with the Hollis scooter I had it catch a few times and shift too as I tried to grab it. Probably harder with a timed double tap to start, just not impossible. I only played for a few minutes with a Blacktip and that was in a pool.

@AJ Are you worried about a runaway scooter that is not clipped off to anything, so it just takes off into the blue? Or are you worried about a runaway scooter that is clipped off to you, so it drags you up or down or whatever, that you don't want to go?
Well, both. A non attached run away scooter is not funny at all. But I did the runaway scooter exercise while it being attached. Believe me, you don't want to experience this caught off guard. I thought it was scary enough while I was expecting it in relative shallow water and controlled conditions with the assistance of an instructor. Can't imagine what it would be like in the deep or in a wreck/cave while not expecting it and not being able to turn the damn thing off.

On the other hand, switches can and do break. Not being able to turn your scooter off can be an advantage in some cases. Some scooters have an emergency override for these cases. But these scooters are also quite expensive, not to say very expensive and in an other league than the BlackTip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom