Salvage Find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RcFlyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I was up at a scrapyard the other day looking for Chevy S-10 parts and stumbled on an old Eagle compressor setup. The price was right and the compressor still turned over so I figured i'd pick it up to tinker with and maybe learn a little more about high pressure systems. As far as I can tell the only thing it's missing is the compressor intake filter. I have been in contact with Jim Sheldon and have been slowly disassembling it to see if it is salvageable. I was also able to find out that the original owner was Kennedy Space Center which is pretty cool to me. This is going to be a new experience for me and I welcome any feedback/tips.

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_172847.jpg
    IMG_20200513_172847.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 211
theres a lot of money going to go into it , to make it work , BUT taking it apart and learning how it all works is invaluable .

I'm a nerd for stuff like that. My lathe has an Atomic Energy Commission property tag on it, which adds some intrinsic value to me, even if it doesn't mean a darn thing in dollar worth.

I'm a nerd for stuff like that. My lathe has an Atomic Energy Commission property tag on it, which adds some intrinsic value to me, even if it doesn't mean a darn thing in dollar worth.
There are a tremendous number of old lathes, mills, and other machine tools with navy or AEC or nasa property tags. At one time the government built things...

I work in an experimental government facility. We have a wonderful old machine shop. Sadly, we have no more machinists.

that's the way its going kids don't want to get dirty or learn a trade , they just want to work 5 years retire rich by working on the internet

So I got the filter chambers off and hopefully stopped any other corrosion from happening. Coming from a scrap yard they don't look to bad. I am hoping I can at least salvage the chambers and caps, but plan on having to replace all safety valves.
Canister 1 side B.jpg
Canister 2 top.jpg
Planning on diving into the compressor next. Popping the oil fill cap it seems that there is still oil in the sump, but there's also a decent amount of sludge build up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_112159.jpg
    IMG_20200508_112159.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Canister 1 cap.jpg
    Canister 1 cap.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 145
that's the way its going kids don't want to get dirty or learn a trade , they just want to work 5 years retire rich by working on the internet

I want to work five years and retire rich so I can fund my hobby of getting dirty and working on things..:dance:

It makes me sick to see all the wood working, machine shop tools, welders, and so called shop items being sold off from our high schools in New York. I learned a lot from those programs and yes, they have served me well. I work as a master electrician all across the country and have done heavy rigging, high pressure pipe fitting, concrete work and just about anything construction related. The facilities i contract with can't find employees willing to do basic tasks. The work force is as stated in the above quote, no desire to actually work or get dirty or better yet, learn trades. They will however spend 150-200 grand for a degree to land themselves a 60 grand a year job??????? Be a pipe fitter and apply yourself, you will hit 60-80 grand. Oh well, I guess I'm just an old man that still values pride and quality in my work, thus, don't see the forest for the trees. God help the future!

Back
Top Bottom