Air Integrated Computers "Could Potentially Kill You."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Breakwater

"Outlaw." Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, everyone. Admittedly, the "Tagline." was an attention getter.
Firstly, I'm a firm believer in using gear that you are comfortable with, and like.
Secondly, I'm a firm believer in using gear that is appropriate for the specific dive that you are doing, and within your experience level.
I'd like to have different setups posted that you use, (Possibly pictures.)
What brand of computer do you use? Do you think that a stand alone wrist mount computer removes a potential risk (Failure Point?)
Although, any piece of equipment can fail.........Right?
What benefits are there in using A.I. other than determining your S.A.C. rate, and monitoring your P.S.I. or connecting more than one transmitter? (Are there more?)
What are the disadvantages in using A.I. computers.
I think the discussion will be interesting, and the replies will give us all some insight, whether we are newly certified recreational divers, experienced divers, technical divers, commercial divers, military divers, or the ones that delve into the "Dark Side."
(Yeah.....you know who, I mean.
I also think this might bring something back to some of us that we either have completely forgotten, or haven't thought about for awhile.....
I use (2) Shearwaters (Non-A.I.) for redundancy with (1) or (2) SPG's depending on the "Rig." I'm using. No elaboration (For now.)
View media item 209680View media item 209695

Stay on topic......or I'll get "The Chairman." after you.
Cheers.

I use a perdix AI. I do have a SPG backup clipped to my side D ring.

I have the air time remaining either turned off or not showing (not sure which).

I like AI because it puts all my data in one easy to read location.

I don't use any of the WAI functions other than monitoring tank pressure.
It removes the 2 dynamic o-rings that are prone to leaking as well as the HP hose which fails far more regularly than the LP hoses provided you are smart and don't use a hose with the transmitter.
It is more convenient to monitor tank pressure when diving sidemount, on a scooter, etc etc since you don't have to unclip/reclip.

Hi, my particular setup is a Perdix Ai with tank mounted transmitter. My backup is an Aqualung i300 with a SPG hose mounted.

I tend to be overly OCD, about both of my computers so I try to Pre plan and stay on top of the dive and watch both computers and see how close they are to each other during my dive. I am a recreational diver so nothing technical. Both computers are pretty close to each other and at times they match each other like they were in a mirror.

Glenn

7818BC28-133D-48DA-B0DE-CB08FAC5BB6E.jpeg

I use an analog SPG with a hose. It's mounted in my console along with a Oceanic Nx1 computer. Also have another Nx1 on my wrist when doing deep multi dives.

I'm not big on AI just seems too much to go wrong between the software and transmitter and receiver too many "moving" parts to make me comfortable.

On those dives where I choose to use a SPG at all, I usually go without a transmitter. I like mine because it comes apart for cleaning. :)

aF0eOj.jpg

NAvOZy.jpg

I wonder what the responses would have been like a couple years ago pre Perdix AI.
I haven't been diving that long and my SAC was very bad at first so I wanted to track progress. My 1st computer was a Geo 2.0 which I now use as a backup. I got a good deal on a Vyper Novo and transmitter and wanted to try AI so I bought them. It was nice to track my SAC without having to keep track of tank pressure at the start and end of each dive but now that I have flattened the "learning curve" I have less interest in monitoring my SAC after each dive. I have a little over 200 dives using the Vyper and on 3 or 4 dives I had pairing issues that I realized after splashing, good thing I also use a SPG.
In my opinion if you have money to burn AI is neat but not essential. The more you dive the less neat it becomes.

I started with a non-AI computer, a Cressi Giotto, after having dove 83 dives without a dive computer of my own.

When I went on my first liveaboard, I didn't want to lose out on any dives, so bought and brought along another Cressi Giotto, to serve as backup. I wore both on every dive. The only redundancy I didn't have was a backup SPG, to bring along in case I needed it during the liveaboard, again, as backup, though only attached if there was a failure.

I came across a good price on a Sherwood Vision from LeisurePro. This is a compact console dive computer with AI. I decided that I would use the combo of Sherwood Vision with Cressi Giotto and pack the original Deep6 analog SPG for my next trips. I would have backups for dive computer and SPG's.

The main problem became dealing with Cressi's RGBM and Sherwood's DSAT algorithms, though it wasn't that hard to just stick with the more conservative of the two, Cressi's RGBM. Ideally, I would have both computers matching, especially on trips where I'm doing multiple dives on consecutive days (my main type of trip) and want a "true" backup, as the algorithms would start to diverge over multiple dives on consecutive days.

Along came a deal from Scuba.com for a Sherwood Amphos Air, which is a wrist mount AI dive computer. Here was my chance to have two dive computers and two SPG's in use at once.

My dive options are...

No redundancy:

Sherwood Vision alone
Sherwood Amphos Air with transmitter
Sherwood Amphos Air with analog SPG

Computer redundancy:

Sherwood Vision and Amphos Air without transmitter

SPG redundancy:

Sherwood Amphos Air with transmitter and analog SPG

Computer and SPG redundancy:

Sherwood Vision and Amphos Air with transmitter

I'll likely pack no redundancy if I want to keep weight down, though computer redundancy is more likely the configuration. For liveaboards, I will definitely pack Computer and SPG redundancy, even the analog SPG too.

A bad thing with the Sherwood Vision is that if the pressure sensor fails, it's no longer good as an SPG and dive computer, as swapping out the Vision for an SPG would remove the computer too.

I haven't had much use out of the AI features itself, like low air or turn-around pressure warnings, as I check my air pretty regularly. I do find the air consumption stats interesting though, after downloading to Subsurface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom