Can't Catch a Break...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery!

I totally agree about the ice machine. I used one 30 years ago when I had ACL surgery on my knee and it still sits in the garage as I wouldn't let me wife throw it out - it had such a positive effect - just in case I would need it again.

Writing this reminds me that when I spent the first post surgery night in the hospital with my leg in a sling, totally immobilized, I was in a two person room in the bed near the window. A nurse stuck her head in and said to the other patient in the bed between me and the door, "Mr. [Smith], Do you still feel like hurting yourself or others?" I don't remember exactly the circumstances of what happened to make it OK, but I just remember thinking "Holy Crap!" in the moment.

so good to hear your recovery is going well. thanks for updating us. Continued God speed for you.

Good to hear you are feeling better.

Every time I read/hear these types of stories it just reinforces that exercise is a no/no. Why risk injury and down time from activities!! :cheers:

Week 8 Post-OP UPDATE

I started weight-lifting physical therapy. I am using 2 lb weights and that will increase progressively going forward. 2 lbs does not sound like a lot of weight but believe me, it is a challenge at this point in my PT rehab. I am still dealing with some soreness and somedays outright pain, especially after PT which I am doing daily. Some ice and Aleve works wonders though.

My end-goal is to be able to reach overhead and grab the ladder handles of a rocking boat and pull myself up to the first rung and then climb into the boat. All while carrying an Al100, SS BP/W, plus 8lbs lead and the rest of my gear. My Physical Therapist is confident I will be able to accomplish this in time for my planned August 15th trip to Coz. This motivates me to stay the course with the PT, especially for the days when I don't feel like doing it.

rooting for you! Good to hear your progress! YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Keep working hard! Glad you have a tangible goal to shoot for. That’ll help with motivation!

Good luck to you, GameChanger.
I had a somewhat similar situation about ten years ago. A torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and a detached ligament. I had the rotator cuff and ligament repaired but decided to leave the labrum alone since the Dr told me that with my particular injury I would lose mobility in the shoulder if I had it repaired.
I also scheduled a trip to Cozumel to take place at the end of my rehab to give me extra motivation. It has worked out well for me as I am climbing back into the pangas wearing full gear. Although I did wear a weight belt and hand it up into the boat on the trip after the surgery.
I was not as dedicated to exercise prior to the surgery as you apparently are. I have, however, kept up my physical therapy routine all these years in order to avoid the Dr. having to go back in to fix the labrum.
Enjoy your diving.

Back
Top Bottom