Air Integrated Computers "Could Potentially Kill You."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just throw caution to the wind, err water and have the worst of everything. A transmitter on a quick disconnect on a short HP hose. Davey Jones here I come. And when that happens I'll give you my Sheerwater when you pry it from my cold, wet, dead hands.

I was looking for another victim.......Ignore. Mod's feel free to delete this response.

Should I ignore it whenever I exceed NDL, and simply use the tables? Why?
No, you should follow what that computer tells you. It is good enough for those purposes. He is saying that in terms of the algorithm being used by a computer, you can do better.

It always amazes me that the discussions about failure points in scuba are never backed up by any data.

In SCUBA all of the discussions seem to revolve around some theoretical fear of "failure" and reducing what someone thinks is a "failure point". However, no-one ever has any systematic data to back up their idea. At best they have anecdotal evidence from an incident report or a story. We need to get a lot more systematic about our approach to failure points and reliability.

Some of that may truly be a legitimate complaint; but I have seen my fair share of actual, non-theoretical failures over more than four decades -- from the lowest level of diving technology to the highest; and I would encourage you to read through this recall list, especially the various computer issues, which often began as those isolated, anecdotal accounts:

Dive Equipment Recall Info at Scuba.com

Your diving in a wreck, your making your way down a passageway, and misjudge the height of the hatchway hitting your A.I. transmitter.
Why is the transmitter so exposed?

I've had things fall on me and my transmitter was the least of my worries.

Why is the transmitter so exposed?

I've had things fall on me and my transmitter was the least of my worries.
It was something that came up in a discussion with Technical Divers that I know. (Also, in previous Post.) It was just a scenario in which many of us know "Not." to do.

This has kind of gone "Off the rails."
I suggest reading the Original Post.
Which was this.............
Air Integrated Computers "Could Potentially Kill You."
Hello, everyone. Admittedly, the "Tagline." was an attention getter.
Firstly, I'm a firm believer in using gear that you are comfortable with, and like.
Secondly, I'm a firm believer in using gear that is appropriate for the specific dive that you are doing, and within your experience level.
I'd like to have different setups posted that you use, (Possibly pictures.)
What brand of computer do you use? Do you think that a stand alone wrist mount computer removes a potential risk (Failure Point?)
Although, any piece of equipment can fail.........Right?
What benefits are there in using A.I. other than determining your S.A.C. rate, and monitoring your P.S.I. or connecting more than one transmitter? (Are there more?)
What are the disadvantages in using A.I. computers.
I think the discussion will be interesting, and the replies will give us all some insight, whether we are newly certified recreational divers, experienced divers, technical divers, commercial divers, military divers, or the ones that delve into the "Dark Side."
(Yeah.....you know who, I mean.
I also think this might bring something back to some of us that we either have completely forgotten, or haven't thought about for awhile.....
I use (2) Shearwaters (Non-A.I.) for redundancy with (1) or (2) SPG's depending on the "Rig." I'm using.
No elaboration (For now.)
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom