HP 120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skoock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, thank you all so much for the replies on the last post. Decided to stick with steel tanks . Another (what I think is great) deal came to me and I was wondering what you it's think about 120 HP tanks. I was hoping some 100s would come to market soon but I would rather get a second steel HP now and look for 100s in the future.

I think this tank is a PST 120HP , currently in Hydro for a couple years, o2 clean but out of Vis.

Are these tanks known to fail or are they worth keeping for a long time. I'm not quite sure of the age of tank, only that it's older.

Screenshot_20200516-233503.png
received_651220395723024.jpeg

If it’s steel and in hydro it’s good to go, no matter how old. Pre 90’s aluminum had a weird metallurgical issue that can’t be tested for so nobody trusts them, but that doesn’t apply here.

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and barely tall enough to use 120"s. With that said I don't like them.

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and barely tall enough to use 120"s. With that said I don't like them.

I'm 5'8".
I currently use a 119 which I think fits great. I'm assuming this cylinder is 4" taller than that tank. Would it not be around the same size as an AL80?

I dive 120s. You better be a big guy because they are heavy. I am 6’7” and 240 lbs and I sometimes find getting out of the water with a 120 a bit of a bear. Because I am such a big guy, I burn through air so I like the bigger tank. Would I upgrade to 133? Probably not.

On a lark, I loaned a female who is only 5’3” one of my steels. She is usually the first one low on air (the effect of her morning ganja). She is in good Shape :eyebrow: and came out of the water thinking this was the best thing since sliced bread. So, YMMV.

If you get them at a good price, buy them. Steel tanks last forever and will hold their value really well.

A steel 100 is a little shorter than an AL80. A steel 120 is about 3 inches taller than an 80. The 120 weighs about 7 lbs more than the 80 and about 5 lbs more than the 100. And then there is the weight of the extra air at the start, about another 1.6 lbs. I don't know the 119, the 117 is a short, fatty, an inch shorter than the 100 and 3-4 lbs heavier.

I'm 5'10" and long waisted, though I can dive it, the 120 is a too long for me.

If it’s steel and in hydro it’s good to go, no matter how old. Pre 90’s aluminum had a weird metallurgical issue that can’t be tested for so nobody trusts them, but that doesn’t apply here.

At least post accurate information, it is not a weird metallurgical issue, it is known sustained load cracking it is a metallurgical phenomenon that is well known, most notably in AL6351 cylinders. Further, the phenomena can be tested for using an eddy current test.

I have 2 Worthington steel 120 cf tanks. I have them because I got them new and at cost and it was a deal too good to pass up. That being said, I am 6' 2" and I find them too tall and heavy and wish I had 100 cf steel Worthington's instead.

I got a pair of used 120s earlier in my career when I needed the extra air. They are beasts. I have a few hundred more dives now, so HP100s are all I need. Haven't used the 120s for a while. The 100s and AL80s are close enough in diameter that I don't have to adjust tank bands. The 120s are bigger around and require readjustment of the straps.

I got a pair of used 120s earlier in my career when I needed the extra air. They are beasts. I have a few hundred more dives now, so HP100s are all I need. Haven't used the 120s for a while. The 100s and AL80s are close enough in diameter that I don't have to adjust tank bands. The 120s are bigger around and require readjustment of the straps.
AL 80s, HP 80s, 100s and 120s are the same diameter, 7.25 inch. The 117 and the 133 are fattys, 8 inches.

Back
Top Bottom