Cancun opening in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck: when do you hear that the island will open up?...meaning reefs to dive and resturants to eat etc...I see the hotels are booking after June 15th...we are anxiouse to dive the reefs after a long rest and anxious to spend money on the island etc... have you heard how the reefs are lately? has alot of wildlife returned? etc... etc..thank you for the udpate!

I spoke to a dive operation today who told me they have informed their DMs that they will be opening June and they need to be available for work from June 1st.

said anything could change, but they will be ready to dive on June 1st and will only put the brakes on if they received a direct mandate not to open.

Chuck: when do you hear that the island will open up?...meaning reefs to dive and resturants to eat etc...I see the hotels are booking after June 15th...we are anxiouse to dive the reefs after a long rest and anxious to spend money on the island etc... have you heard how the reefs are lately? has alot of wildlife returned? etc... etc..thank you for the udpate!

I wish we could say that on X date, everything'll be open........ I haven't heard of anyone diving at all - the park is closed - I tried begging a ride on a fishing boat just to get underwater, I didn't try real hard but tried.

The Federal government released some guidelines that looked terrible for our area, this green, yellow, orange and red area chart and potential opening things back up for business - they're talking August for some of the worst areas - Mexico City and that's all just talk too cause who knows what things will be like in two weeks let alone three months.

There's too much Federal info to try and convey - here's a link to a Facebook post from Mondays Federal announcement

Cindy Trautwein

One thing though - the Federal Government is not tying the hands of the states, seems like the states can do what they want in a way...

Here in Cozumel, it's the 14th of May, we have three active cases, our curfew is 7pm, everything but grocery stores and medical stuff is closed..... Remember the port is closed and that command came from over in the Cancun area, not from here - so to reopen the ports so we can go dive, that order has to come from higher ups....

Cancun has problems, Playa has problems - Cozumel is OK it seems. To think that they'll open the doors in two weeks with only one airline flying here to the island is spooky cause you know hoards of people will come thru Cancun and Playa....

Hotels booking for such a such date, airlines booking this date - those are all just hopes and we'll all know what date is good when the powers at be says it's good...

Another report which doesn’t really reference direct flight non American possibilities..

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say on Thursday....ambiguity I’m sure. I certainly hope they don’t leave it completely open ended ambiguous..

Speaking strictly for myself, I won't be going to Cozumel for a while after it "opens up". For a time I'll be keeping watch on what happens on the island after tourists start coming back.

I’m at the other side of the equation. I’ll wait until governments lift restrictions or allow individuals to cross their borders and then I’ll go ASAP whilst practicing proper social distancing measures and obeying any Quarantine measures they put in place.

I’m at the other side of the equation. I’ll wait until governments lift restrictions or allow individuals to cross their borders and then I’ll get back ASAP whilst practicing proper social distancing measures and obeying any Quarantine measures they put in place.
I'm not as concerned about the being there as I am the getting there and back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom